Chapter 40

Maki

It was the knocking on the front door that woke them. Sunlight streamed over the dark brown comforter on Shikaya's bed and Maki snuggled into the safety of Shikaya's arms wishing the world would stay away for just a little longer.

"Will you stay with me?" Shikaya's whisper roused her from her musings.

"Yes Shikaya, I will."

The pounding at the door became insistent. "I suppose I should answer that." He grinned as he slipped loose pants on and left the room. Maki waited in bed, wishing he would return and make love to her again. Instead she heard a frightened Chikako from the other room.

"Shikaya, mother didn't come home last night. Do you know where she is?"

Maki rose and wrapped herself in Shikaya's robe which hung on a peg inside the door. She was embarrassed to face her daughter with the truth of her heart, but she didn't think Chikako, who had found her own love and happiness, would judge her. She slipped through the door and saw Chikako standing in the doorway with Tobirama behind her.

"I'm here Chikako."

Chikako looked up in surprise, her gaze traveling down to observe what Maki was wearing. Her cheeks colored even as Tobirama averted his own gaze.

"Mother." Chikako's voice trailed off as if she didn't know what to say and then she composed herself. "I'm glad you're ok. I'm sorry we woke you."

"It's no problem. We must have fallen asleep. We should have sent word." Shikaya said.

"Well." Chikako seemed unsure how to respond.

Maki bit her lip, sympathizing with her. What exactly did one say when they discovered their mother with her lover?

"Will you be home later?" Chikako asked, whispering in her ear when she came close for a hug. "Are you okay Mother?"

"Maybe." Maki answered her whispered question out loud. "I'm ok Chikako."

Chikako nodded and then slipped her hand into Tobirama's as she turned to leave.

Maki watched them leave and when the door had shut she turned back to Shikaya leaning into his arms. "I had no idea it could be like that."

"I told you I would never hurt you." He held her, stroking her back. "Lets go wash up."

Peace filled her as she followed him to the bathhouse behind his house. They sat in the warm water together for ages, Shikaya holding her closely.

Suddenly it occurred to her that they'd taken no precautions. She looked up at him in fear. "What if I got..."

"Shhh. Marry me."

"What?"

"Marry me. I don't want to be apart from you."

She smiled and leaned back into his shoulder. "I don't want to be away from you either."

Shikaya leaned back and sighed. "Maki, I'm the luckiest man alive."