Chapter 30

"You did an excellent job with breakfast." Akira collected the dirty plates to wash them. "Did you have plans for today Chikako?"

Chikako worked to hold back her smile at the compliment. "I thought I'd show mother around Konoha and introduce her to some people and I'd like to find Takao and Kei and make sure they're comfortable. Are you up to that mother?"

It had been two days since they'd arrived back in Konoha. Even in that short time her mother's face seemed brighter, her smile easier and her laugh lighter.

"I think so." Her mother joined Akira, pulling a dishcloth off it's peg.

"Akira, I'd love it if you'd join us. Tobirama will be be busy all day with setting up a training schedule for my father's men."

"You're right. I will be." Tobirama's deep voice still made Chikako weak in the knees. He stood in the doorway, sweaty and dirty from training. "I imagine their training will take a lot of my time while they're here." He retrieved his breakfast from where it had been set aside, settling at the table to eat. "You'll find Takao and Kei in the encampment near the large training field."

"Are they settling in?" Chikako joined him while he ate.

He nodded and sipped at his tea.

They chatted about the coming day as he ate.

When he was finished he rose, "I need to be back. I'll be here for dinner." He pulled her into his arms and kissed her. "See you then, Chika."

When he'd left and the kitchen had been cleaned up Chikako led her mother into the village. Akira had begged off saying she had things she wanted to see to.

They walked slowly while Chikako told her the little she knew about the Konoha.

"I think we should go see Mito first. I want to find out how the baby is doing." Chikako replied when her mother finally asked where they were headed.

"Mito is the Hokage's wife, right? She was there when we arrived."

"She's the first friend I made here. She made me feel at home when I was new and introduced me to everyone." Chikako smiled at the memory of Mito dragging her away from the crowd the day she'd arrived.

When they arrived Chikako knocked on the door and slid it open when she heard Mito call out.

"Chikako! How are you?" Mito turned her attention to Maki. "Are you settling in?"

"I am thank you." Maki smiled.

"I'm bringing mother around the village and introducing her to people. Would you join us?"

The three women wandered around a section of the village for shops that were yet to be opened but there were benches there and people already used the area to gather and socialize. They were sitting in the shade on one of those benches when a man came by and Mito called out to him.

"Shikaya! I have someone to introduce you to."

He was taller than Chikako by a few inches, his black hair pulled back at the crown of his head. "Mito. It's been a long time since I've seen you. How is Tsunade doing?"

"She's well. Have you met Tobirama's wife yet?"

"I'd heard he'd married, someone from Iwa, right? " He looked at both Chikako and Maki as if trying to figure out which was which.

Chikako stood and offered him a bow. "I'm Chikako, Tobirama's wife."

"It's nice to meet you." He turned his gaze to Maki. "Who are you lucky enough to travel with?"