Chapter 38

Tobirama and Chikako walked back to the Hokage's office to let Hashirama know that the Iwa nin had left and then found themselves wandering down by the river. He pulled her into his lap as he settled on a large rock and held her close. Her strength never ceased to amaze him. She'd left her home, gone back to stand up to her father, and now she'd lost her father and the home she'd grown up in.

"I guess this means I won't ever return to Iwa." She nestled her head into his shoulder.

"Will you miss Iwa?" He stroked her hair and nuzzled her cheek.

"Not really." Chikako looked around them. "Konoha is different but it's my home now. Only Momo is left, and I don't know for sure she's alive."

Tobirama held her close as she choked back a sob.

"I think I'll miss the waterfall. That was where I went when I needed quiet. But that's a silly thing to miss."

"It's not silly at all." He couldn't turn back time or ensure her future wouldn't hold sadness and pain, but he could give her peace in the present. He stood, holding her in his arms and then set her down on the rock.

"What—" she gasped as she watched him weave some hand signs before water spouted from the cliff and poured down into the river beside them.

"Now you have your own falls here."

"Tobirama!" She bit her lip and covered her face with her hands.

When he tugged on her hand she let him pull her into her arms.

"I love you." He whispered the words into her hair. "I don't know what I did to deserve you—"

"You were yourself." She interrupted him.

"I haven't always been the best version of myself." He admitted ruefully. "You've— softened me somehow. Thank you Chikako."

"Well, you've changed me too." She looked up at him defiantly. "You helped me find my strength and my voice."

"We make a good pair, don't we?" He chuckled as he pulled her up for a kiss.

Her eyes were dark with desire when they parted and he wondered how long they'd be alone here. Before he could make any suggestions though she glanced up at him with a twinkle in her eye. "I have something to tell you."

He looked at her curiously. "What is it?"

"You're going to be a father."

Tobirama's heart swelled with love as he settled his hand over her stomach in awe.

Chikako covered his hand with her own. "Do you want a son or a daughter?"

"I want a healthy baby." He cupped her face and brushed a kiss over her lips. "And a healthy mother."

Chikako leaned into him with a sigh. "I wonder— if my father had known how kind you are, would he have arranged our marriage?"

"Are you suggesting he didn't want you to be happy?"

"I'm suggesting he wanted a husband who would give me the life he imagined, not the one you've given me."

Tobirama frowned at her words. "I don't think he'd be unhappy with how things have worked out. He enjoyed your visit and was proud of you."

"You're right. And I need to let him rest. He wanted what was best for me, even if the village came first."

"Ready to go home and face life again?" He kissed the top of her head.

"No, but I know we have to."

The next morning Chikako focused on the tea she was making. When Tobirama joined her in the kitchen and sat down she served him, wondering if he knew anything. It had been two weeks since Takao and the other Iwa nin had returned to Iwa. They hadn't heard anything and she hoped today would bring news. "Do you have a busy day?"

"I'll be working on setting the academy up. I've spoken with several people about teaching already. Today we'll be setting up curriculum and standards."

"Did you want help?" She didn't want to spend another day trying to distract herself with training and housework instead of thinking and wondering what was going on in Iwa.

"If you want. I'd like to set standards and levels for our ninja to operate in. A sort of class separation according to skill and ability. That way we can assign them tasks and missions accordingly."

"That's a wonderful idea." She joined him with their breakfast. "I can organize books in the classrooms and make sure you have all the supplies you need."

Tobirama nodded and wrinkled his brow. "I'll be taking on a team myself to train."

"They couldn't have a better teacher." She smiled at him and looked over to greet her mother as she came into the room. "Good morning mother. Can I serve you?"

"Thank you Chikako. I'll just get myself some tea. Shikaya will be along in a bit. He said he has a surprise for me and not to eat breakfast." Her mother turned away but not before she saw the blush creeping up her cheeks.

Chikako hid her grin behind her teacup. The past two weeks Shikaya had been coming by more and more often. It was obvious her mother's resolve to avoid him was weakening.

"I hope you have fun mother." Chikako raised one eyebrow at Tobirama's nudge. "I'll be helping Tobirama with the school today, if you need me."

Her mother nodded and they chatted lightly over tea. When Shikaya appeared in the door her mother's eyes went wide and she bit her lip.

"Have a good day Mother." Chikako kept her tone as neutral as possible.

When the front door had clicked shut Tobirama broke the silence. "I'm glad your mother has found a place here."

"Me too." Chikako stood to clear their dishes, smiling when Tobirama joined her to wash them.