Chapter 13

Chikako was thankful for the good nights rest she'd had in Tobirama's arms. His encouragement, calm acceptance of their marriage and obvious interest in building a relationship with her only added to the respect she felt for him. Regardless, she grew more nervous as they approached the imposing gates that had appeared in the distance. Taller than any of the buildings she'd grown up around they were surrounded by an even more imposing wall.

Worse, as they got closer she could see the gates were open and people milled about watching as they approached. When she'd first noticed them she thought it might be families waiting for the men they'd traveled with, but as they got closer and people began to break off and come down the road to greet them, she realized there were at least a hundred people waiting, if not more.

Tension vibrated up her back, her hands were slick with sweat, and her jaw ached from clenching. When Tobirama's hand brushed against her back she yelped and jumped away.

"It's okay, Chika. There's probably another mission due home today. Most of them aren't even there for us."

Just as she was breathing a sigh of relief a man suddenly appeared in front of them. He glanced at her, offering a wide smile despite the question in his eyes, before turning his attention to Tobirama.

"Welcome back brother!" The dark haired man clapped Tobirama on the back eliciting a grunt and a glower that made Chikako bite her lip to hide a smile.

Tobirama couldn't have been more right when he'd told her he and his brother were near opposites. Though they shared similar eyes, the differences stopped there.

"It's good to be home." Tobirama's voice echoed with relief.

"Well," Hashirama grinned widely and wrapped his arm around the woman who joined him.

She nodded a greeting to Tobirama before turning her silent but intense gaze on Chikako.

"How did the talks with Hata go? Was he the ass you expected him to be?" Hashirama's voice resonated with authority.

Tobirama cleared his throat and caught Chikako's hand. She shrank back, trying to slip behind him, stopping at the look in his eyes. Fear coursed through her and he squeezed her hand. She nodded, accepting his strength to do what she had to do, and moved to his side where he pulled her against him tightly.

"Hashirama, Mito, I'd like to introduce you to my wife, Chikako Hata."

Hashirama and Mito stared at her in stunned silence. To Chikako's absolute terror so did everyone else within earshot. Hashirama's gaze left her fighting the urge to vomit on his feet. She took a deep breath, drawing on the training she'd had growing up, and bowed to him.

"It's very nice to meet you Senju-san. Thank you for allowing me to be a vehicle of peace between our villages." When she stood Hashirama's brow was wrinkled and he was glancing back and forth between her and Tobirama. She had a sinking feeling she'd done something wrong.

"Hata-san, it's nice to meet you." Hashirama recovered and dipped his head to her. "Welcome to Konoha. I'm Hashirama, the Hokage of this village, and this is my wife Mito Uzamaki."

Mito smiled warmly at her. "Why are you walking? Have they even fed you today?" She shot a scowl at Tobirama. "Did you make her walk all the way from Iwa?"

Tobirama pinched the bridge of his nose and opened his mouth to answer but Chikako cut him off.

"Don't blame Tobirama. I refused the palanquin my father ordered and chose to walk. I didn't want to slow his- your men down from getting home anymore than I had to. And please don't worry about me. Tobirama has been very kind and considerate of my needs as we've traveled."

Both Mito and Hashirama stared at her dumbfounded and she glanced up at Tobirama. He was watching her quietly, a smile quirking the corner of his mouth.

"Are you sure..." Hashirama stopped when Mito elbowed him and pulled Chikako's hand into hers.

"None of that Hashirama. Chikako," she paused and looked at Chikako, "can I call you that?"

Chikako opened her mouth to answer, shutting it again when Mito kept going.

"Chikako looks exhausted," she shot another glare at Tobirama, "I'm taking her home."

Chikako wanted to explain she was fine. To tell Mito they'd eaten lunch just an hour ago, and spent yesterday at the hot spring relaxing and recharging. But the redhead was pulling her along, into the village, talking a mile a minute.

As they passed through the crowd a man stepped out, catching her eye and she froze in place, familiarity crawling over her skin. She slipped her arm out of Mito's grip and stopped in front of him.

Dark hair, dark eyes, and pale skin, there was only one person this could be. She bowed before him politely.

"Uchiha-san, am I right?"

The man stared down at her expressionless for a long moment, making her nerves jump under her skin and then nodded and inclined his head.

"Please, call me Madara."

"Ma-Madara." She'd heard his name many times growing up, as she'd hidden in corners and listened to father talk with his men. He was Sadao's cousin and a much revered shinobi in Iwa. "I am Chikako, daughter of Atsushi Hata. My father and Sadao send their regards."

Again his eyes bored into her, flicking between her and Tobirama. Chikako couldn't decide if the look in his eyes was displeasure or anger. If he was angry, why?

"So your father arranged an alliance with the Senju's through your marriage?" His melodic voice flowed over her.

She nodded, unsure if he wanted a reply to his question and then decided he might. "It's always been the plan for my marriage to strengthen Iwagakure. It's an honor to bring our villages together."

His lips tightened into a firm line that made her stomach cramp. "He should have considered..."

Mito interrupted him. "Enough Madara. The poor girl's exhausted. She had no say in any of this. Make your complaints to Hashirama, or Hata, or even your cousin. Don't burden Chikako with your concerns."

Madara narrowed his eyes and stared at Mito, working his jaw and then turned on his heel with a grunt and strode toward Hashirama.

Panic gripped Chikako as she watched him. Her marriage to Tobirama wasn't consummated. Would he demand she be handed over to him? What would Hashirama do? Her father might consider the demand, seeking to appease a displeased village leader. Worse, what would Tobirama do? He'd said he'd never planned to marry. Would he see this as an escape from a union he'd never sought?

Her hands fisted at her side as she watched Madara argue with both men, anger coursing through her veins. She was done with men deciding her fate. She was done with being told what to do. It was enough she'd been torn from her home and her mother to form an alliance, she wasn't going to be passed back and forth like some treasured relic.

She pulled her hand from Mito's and stormed over to the three men shoving her way between Tobirama and his brother, only vaguely aware of Mito trailing behind her.

"Uchiha-san, I appreciate your concern, but relations between the Hata's and the Uchiha's are strong." She swallowed hard at the truth she was about to expose and steeled her nerves. "My father's mistress, and his other children are all half-Uchiha, though I'm not supposed to know that. My marriage was arranged with Senju-san to strengthen relations between the Hata's and Senju's."

All three men stared down at her in shock and she leaned into the arm Tobirama wrapped around her shoulders.

"If you have a problem with the arrangements my father made, you need to take it up with him." Her heart was in her throat as she finished speaking.

Madara's lips curled and then his eyes crinkled as he broke out in a harsh laugh that Hashirama joined him in. "You're wife is as much of a firecracker as the Uzamaki your bother married. I wish you luck in taming her." He bowed to Tobirama and then nodded respectfully at Chikako.

Tobirama tightened his arm around her shoulders and nuzzled the top of her head, whispering into her hair. "You'll do just fine, Chika, just fine."