Chapter 35

Chikako sighed. This would change everything.

Takao spoke up. "Who's left then?"

"Dai is in charge of the men." Sho paused for a shaky breath. "He's a stronger leader than I am so I volunteered to run here. Takao, we all knew that you were meant to succeed Hata, we need you back."

Kei spoke slowly, "Was anyone else killed? Civilians?"

Sho looked up, "No. The battle was contained in the front of the village and those were the only two casualties, thank goodness. The village is secure and heavily guarded now."

Kei breathed a sigh of relief. Takao spoke, "What of the other clan leaders?"

"We made sure no one knew of Hata-sama's death. We were unable to conceal Sadao's."

"I understand." Takao replied.

Tobirama spoke, "We will equip the three of you to return." He looked at Takao, "Do you want to leave today or tomorrow morning?"

"I'd like to leave today." He turned to Sho. "How long did it take you to get here?"

"I left the morning after the attack, two days. I ran the entire way, sleeping only for a few hours each night."

"Are you up to a return trip so soon?"

"I am Takao-sama."

"Good." He turned to Kei, "Will you return to the barracks and ready the men? Tell the men to eat a good meal. We'll leave in two hours."

Kei rose to leave with a nod.

Chikako followed him to the door. "Kei." She touched his arm. "My prayers are with you. You and your family will always have a home here."

"Thank you Chikako." The door shut behind him with a finality Chikako felt in her heart.

She turned back to the room, already running through plans in her head. She paused when she noticed her mothers pale face, but as she went to join her she heard a knock at the door and went into the other room to answer it.

"Hello Shikaya." she said wearily.

"Good afternoon." Shikaya narrowed his eyes, "Is everything alright?"

"No. We just got word that my fathers been killed in an attack on Iwa."

"Maki?" He whispered this.

"I don't know. She looks upset." She turned. "Come in."

In the kitchen, Chikako sat down between Tobirama and her mother, Shikaya sat on the other side of her mother and offered his hand to her while they listened to Tobirama prepare Takao to take leadership of Iwa.

"You may meet resistance from the other clan leaders when you announce your fathers death." Tobirama's face was serious as he spoke.

Maki gasped. "How did you know?"

Chikako answered her. "I guessed and confronted father with it. It's one of the reasons he allowed me to bring you home with me."

Maki's eyes darkened. "I see."

Tobirama continued. "I can't travel with you, but you'll have Dai, and the other men I left there training. Tell Dai that they are to stay as long as you need them."

"Thank you Tobirama." Takao looked at Maki. "I'm so sorry. I know that my presence must hurt you terribly. I wish it could be different."

"No, Takao. I've always known you were his son. I'm glad you could be close to him." She smiled. "We are both victims of a broken system. I have no hard feelings towards you."

"Thank you."

Akira cleared her throat. "Who wants to eat?" She began serving food, shushing Chikako when she rose to help.

After they had eaten and Tobirama had spoken with Takao more about taking the leadership of Iwa they rose and went out in front of the house. The Iwa ninja were gathering in front of their house in a small group talking quietly when Takao came out of the house with Tobirama.

They approached Takao, bowed their heads slightly and one of them spoke. "I speak for all of us, we will serve you and protect you with our lives, Takao-sama. We recognize you as the new leader of the Hata clan and kage of Iwagakure."

"Thank you. I hope it goes as well in Iwa." Takao sighed tiredly.

Tobirama and Chikako walked with them to the gate. Chikako set her hands on Takao's shoulders. "You are strong. I always knew I could count on you. You, Ai and the boys will always have a place here. You are my brother, whether we knew it or not growing up." She hugged him.

"Thank you Chikako."

"Safe travel." She let go of him and returned to Tobirama's side.

"Takao, you have the support of Konoha. Hashirama couldn't join us but he offered it. My men will be there beside you. Be strong."

Tobirama and Chikako watched as the seven men ran off into the distance, turning towards Iwa as they reached the break in the trees.

"What will happen?" Chikako asked.

"Perhaps the other clan leaders will simply accept him. Perhaps there will be a fight for power. Things like this are never simple." He took her hand and turned to go home. "I'm sorry Chika. Are you alright?"

"I'm sorry my father is gone but he and I were hardly close. It feels distant, like someone I hardly knew has died."

Tobirama squeezed her hand.

"I'm glad I'm here with you." She squeezed his hand.