Chapter 41

Chikako and Tobirama left Shikaya's house and walked back towards the Hokage tower. Chikako overcome by what they'd found. She wasn't upset though, she was overjoyed that her mother had found the happiness with Shikaya that Chikako had found with Tobirama. There was something special about Konoha.

"Can you help me at the academy again?" Tobirama interrupted her thoughts.

"Sure. I'm not sure I will be much help though."

"It's just more organizational things."

"I can do that."

Hours later Chikako stretched, her back cracking with relief. She had been working on organizing scrolls all morning and she needed a break. She went to find Tobirama and found him sitting at a desk making notes. She sat on the desk and leaned over to him, kissing the top of his head. "Ready for a break Senju-sama?"

He looked up and smiled. "Lets take a walk and find some tea."

But as they left the academy Kenta came running up.

"Tobirama, there's an entourage approaching the village's main gate. It's too far to tell size but they are kicking up a lot of dust."

Tobirama looked alarmed, "Get five other men, and Hashirama. I'll be at the gate." He took off running and Chikako followed. It wasn't until they arrived at it that he realized she'd followed him. He looked off down the road and could see the dust cloud approaching the village.

"What do you sense?" Chikako followed his gaze.

"You shouldn't be here. What if we're being attacked?"

"Then I'll slip off and get more help. What do you sense?"

"Fear, exhaustion."

Mito came up behind them. "I sense fear also. I don't think we're under attack."

Kenta arrived with the men and after a short time the group making it's way down the road came into view. It was apparent that it was a mixed group of men, women and a few children. Chikako's eyes went wide and she gasped as she took off running for them.

Chikako had recognized her lifelong friend, Momo. Momo looked at her and tears began running down her face, she stopped walking and crumpled to the ground carefully cradling the baby she held in her arms. Chikako sat beside her in the dirt and taking the baby in one arm put her other around her friends shoulders.

"Shhh. You're safe now."

She glanced up at Tobirama talking with Takao as he leaned heavily on Dai. The rest of the group milled around them.

Besides Takao and Dad there were two Iwa nin, Sho and Daki, and Kei. In addition there were the five Konoha nin that had been in Iwa training, three women, three young boys and a baby.

It was a lot to take in and Chikako's head was spinning with it all. She watched Tobirama to take her cue from him.

"What happened?" He slipped an arm under Takao's other arm who she realized was barely conscious. "Is he ok?"

"His injuries are not bad. I'm not sure why he passed out." Dai replied.

Chikako helped Momo to her feet, holding the baby for her as they made their way into the village. Tobirama carrying Takao through the gates where he met Hashirama.

"Let me take him to the hospital." Hashirama reached for Takao. "You figure out what's happened."

Tobirama nodded and passed Takao to his brother before turning back to the group who had mostly made it through the gates at this point. Mito was gathering the women and children with Akira who had appeared out of nowhere.