Chapter 28

Tobirama would have preferred to spend the morning with Chikako. Instead he was following Sadao to Hata's office.

"You missed training this morning, is everything alright?" Hata greeted him sharply.

Tobirama bristled and he narrowed his eye at the insinuation that he owed the man an explanation for his time.

Hata's smile suggested he didn't appreciate the unspoken challenge but he let it drop. "Are the six men I selected acceptable to you?"

"They're outstanding choices. Why did you chose not to send Sadao?" Tobirama thought this was a mistake. It would be helpful for Sadao to see how the Uchiha's were living in peace today.

"I did ask and he declined. He's stuck to the old ways. He is older than he looks, closer to my age. We were friends when I became clan leader and he's always stood beside me. I imagine he will retire with me when the time comes."

Tobirama let the subject drop. Older than Hata or not, Sadao needed to catch up even more than Hata did, and time spent in with Madara in Konoha, even if Sadao didn't train, might accomplish that. Tobirama kept his opinion to himself however, while he thought Sadao might benefit from the exposure, he was in no hurry to spend that much time with the man.

"Let's wrap up the final details." They spent the next hour discussing the details of the palanquin and how Maki's things would be transported. In addition to the six men Hata was sending for training, he was sending eight men to carry the palanquin on the rough road. It would be a slow return trip. "If you run into any trouble you should have enough men to help you."

"I have no doubt we'll be fine." Tobirama withheld his irritation at Hata's need to plan and control everything. He liked him but Hata was a man who liked importance, especially his own and while Tobirama held no misconceptions about his place in the world he was also not one to focus on it and make more of it than was necessary. "If we're done here and you don't mind I have something I'd like to see to this afternoon."

"Of course not. Enjoy your last day in Iwa." Hata waved him off.

Tobirama stepped out into the sunshine and breathed a sigh of relief. He was done. No more meetings with that man. He walked over to the koi pond where Chikako was feeding the fish. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and held her close to him as she relaxed back into him. "How is it that you never jump when I come up behind you. I know I'm being quiet and you don't hear me."

"Are you trying to sneak up on me? To scare me?" She had a chuckle in her voice.

"Not to scare you, but maybe surprise you." He chuckled back. "It's a little disappointing really. I'm one of the most feared ninja alive and I can't even sneak up on my own wife."

She giggled at him and turned to wrap her arms around his neck. "Silly man, I can feel you when you're close. I just know you're there. It's why I didn't panic when those men attacked me on our way here. I knew you were close and would come."

He pressed his forehead to hers. "I'll be right back."

She watched him with curiosity as he ran back to their room, returning with a small pack. He pulled her smaller hand into his, marveling at the strength he felt emanating from her. "Come on."

When he started down the path toward the waterfall she leaned into his side, humming in contentment.

The walk was quiet, both lost in their own thoughts. As the water came into view Tobirama grinned at the delight in her eyes. Konoha had a river, but there was no waterfall for Chikako to enjoy.

He set their pack down on a large rock and pulled his armor and shirt off. "Did you want to swim?"

She looked up at him in surprise. "Did you?"

An Unexpected RomanceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara