Chapter 37

Maki

A breeze ruffled Maki's hair as she watched Shikaya leave. What was happening to her? She'd spent so long hiding from the world, from the husband she'd been unable to please, that she'd forgotten who she was. Or had she? Had she ever known who she was? She'd been the daughter of a clan leader, destined to marry for the benefit of the clan and when her father had passed her off to Atsushi she'd become the wife of a clan leader destined to provide him heirs. Except that's not what had happened.

Only twenty-three years ago, though in some ways it felt like it had happened in another lifetime, she remembered the night she'd been told. Her father had come home, sat down at the table and informed her as he served himself supper. He'd mentioned in the midst of other village and clan news. As if her marriage had no more importance than any other event.

Her stomach had turned sour and she hadn't eaten a bite that night, especially after he'd informed her that the wedding would happen the following week and that she was prepare herself. Mother had simply sat quietly, accepting her daughters fate with the same silence she offered everything father had said.

The week had passed in a blur of sewing and packing. No one had spoken of what she should expect, either on the Hata compound where she would go to live, or on her wedding night. And she hadn't seen her father again. Atsushi had taken her home for her father's funeral and she'd seen her mother but they hadn't stayed long enough for a true visit.

She was deep in her memories as she settled on the sofa. Her needlework, the one thing that had kept her sane all those long years alone in her rooms, sat beside her but today she didn't feel like working on it.

"Did you have a good afternoon?" Akira's question started her out of her thoughts and she smiled warmly at the older woman.

Akira felt like the friend she'd always wanted. Quiet, patient and always kind, Akira had made her feel at home instantly. Maki had worried the woman who had stepped in as Chikako's mentor would be irritated at her presence, but she'd welcomed Maki with open arms. Akira felt like someone she could talk to and she decided to trust the instinct.

"I feel such peace when I'm with Shikaya, but I'm not sure I can offer him anything in return."

"I think you already have." Akira settled on the sofa beside her.

"What do you mean?"

"He's looked sad and lost since Aya died. You've brought a smile back to his face."

Maki smiled to herself, wondering what it all meant. "Thank you Akira."

"Maki," Akira paused as if struggling with the question she had, "it's not my place, but are you okay?"

Was she? Maki didn't know how to answer that question so she shrugged as her eyes welled with tears. Before she could even wipe the first away she'd been enveloped in Akira's arms, her head nestled against the woman's shoulder.

"It's okay to not be sad." Akira soothed her with soft strokes on her back. "It's not my place, but I've guessed that you and Chikako's father didn't have a close relationship."

It was the understatement of the century and it broke the damn in Maki's chest that had been straining since she'd found out Atsushi was dead. She sobbed into Akira's shoulder until she had no tears left and when she could speak she started talking.

Akira listened to her as she told the full story of her marriage to someone for the first time in her life. Her face darkened at times but Maki never felt it was in judgment of her, rather it was anger at her father and husband. Maki was finally realizing that she'd been wronged by both of them, her father by his choice and lack of consideration for her feelings and by Atsushi by his ignorance.

She was vaguely aware of Chikako arriving and kneeling in front her to hold her as well.

"I'm so sorry, Maki. You should never have been left to think it was your fault."

"Mother?"

She smiled down at Chikako and ran her fingers through her hair. "Tell me truthfully, Chika, are you happy with Tobirama?"

"The happiest." Chikako returned her smile. "When father told me I was to be married to him I was terrified, but I couldn't be married to a better man."

Maki let out a shaky sigh. It had terrified her to find out Chikako would be married, but just as she'd had no power or say in her own fate she'd had none with Chikako's either.

"If it helps," Chikako kissed her lightly on the cheek, "father told me he felt he'd wronged you. It was one of the reasons he allowed me to bring you here. He wanted you to be happy."

That did help. It surprised Maki how much it helped her.

In many ways Atsushi had been wronged too, though he hadn't suffered the way she had. With a final deep breath she put the anger she'd felt for him behind her and chose to look to the future. Even if she wasn't sure what that future would hold or that she could offer Shikaya what she thought he might have been hinting at.