Chapter 6

As soon as the door slid shut behind her, Chikako took off for Momo's house. She didn't have long, and she desperately needed to unburden her heart with someone who would listen and help her figure this out.

Momo was a few years older than her, and besides Takao, the one friend she'd been able to count on through the years. A few years older than Chikako, she had served in their household until her recent marriage.

Momo would not withhold her honest opinion.

She slowed her run when Momo's house came into view and skirted around it to the back garden where her friend was likely to be this time of day. She threw herself into Momo's arms with a wail when she found her.

"I'm getting married!" Tears coursed down her cheeks, sobs wracking her chest.

Momo waited patiently for her crying to run its course, stroking her back and rocking her like she would a small child. When Chikako had settled down and was only breathing heavily and sniffling she spoke.

"Marriage isn't terrible. Tell me about it."

Chikako told her all that had transpired since they'd said hello to Tobirama by the waterfall. Her shoulders heaved with threatened sobs again when she told Momo the wedding would be tomorrow and she'd be leaving for Konoha the day after.

Momo frowned, her own eyes glistening with tears. "Tomorrow seems quick. But Kei mentioned this Senju to me when I told him we'd seen him. He said he liked him. He said he's an excellent ninja, and a capable and honorable leader for his men."

"But I don't know him at all!" Chikako didn't like the wail she heard in her own voice, but she felt powerless to hold it back.

"You will, in time." Momo's tone was reassuring. "Not all arranged marriages are like your parents. Sometimes, many times, as people get to know each other they fall in love."

"Do you even remember him? He's old. And he hardly speaks. How can I get to know him?"

"I don't think he's that old. He's older than you, but I didn't get the impression he was even close to your father's age." Momo's face became serious and concerned. "Your mother has talked to you about being a wife, right?"

Chikako felt her face heat with the question. "She has. Though I'm scared."

"Don't be scared. He seems like a good man. He'll be patient with you." Momo stroked her head again for reassurance.

Chikako looked up at the sky. "I can't believe I'll leave Iwa the day after tomorrow, and never return." She leaned into her friends shoulder and swallowed heavily. "I don't want to go."

Momo clucked at her like a mother. "I know. But you have always knows your marriage would be arranged and what that would mean."

Chikako nodded her head. "I'm trying to be brave."

"Perhaps I'll visit Konoha and see you someday."

Chikako recognized Momo's attempt to cheer her and played along. Her heart might be heavy, but she wanted her last memories with Momo to be joyful. "I hope we get that time together."

Silence filled the garden as Chikako considered the future she was facing, and all its unknowns.

"I have to go. I might not see you again Momo." She hugged her friend tightly against her. "Thank you for listening."

"Take care of yourself. I will always be your friend when you need one."

"And I will always be your friend." Chikako smiled at Momo and turned to walk away.