Chapter 6

That evening at my hostel, I was startled by a loud knock on my door. I removed the laptop which I was using for study and got out of my bed. I knew it was a bad idea to study in bed but I couldn't help it in this cold evening.

I walked over to the door and opened it, somewhat not surprised by the person I met on the other side of the door. But this time, he was with his friend.

'Hey little sis, didn't you see my message that you should come for supper with us?' Roy asked me as he pushed past me through the door. His friends followed behind him, desperate to escape the cold evening air outside. They were lucky that Cait wasn't in, because she certainly did not appreciate male visitors.

'Oh well, I guess I didn't see it.' I shrugged. Actually, I had seen it. I just pretended I hadn't so that I wouldn't go for supper with them. It's not that I didn't want to, but it was obvious that Roy's friends Jackson and Karry didn't really want me around. I guess they were so used to three of them hanging out as a trio, not having one girl added to the mix.

'Well I brought you some slices of the pizza we had.' Roy announced happily and placed it on my bed as he sat on it. Karry took my seat by study desk while Jackson sat next to Roy. After all, those were the only pieces of furniture we had in the room.

'Thanks.' I answered with actual excitement. 'Hey you should stop walking around in the evening, aren't you the one who keeps telling me about the kidnaps?'

Roy chuckled. 'That only happens to rich kids, and in case you didn't know, our family's not very rich.'

'Well your friends are, you're putting them in danger.' I was referring to his two friends, and I still didn't understand why they enjoyed being friends with Roy so much. Perhaps he was much cooler when he was with other people.

'Anyway, I heard you're finally over your ex-boyfriend. Took you long enough.' Jackson commented soullessly with his hands in the pocket of his hoodie, shielded from the cold.

'Huh?' I turned to him with confusion, and so did Roy and Karry.

'What? I just heard that you were flirting with Yaxuan.' Jackson shrugged. 'Well my little brother said he saw the two of you in the cafeteria so into each other and he thinks you're really dumb. But I think he should cut you some slack, you're just having fun right?'

Roy turned to me, and I could already tell he was furious even though his facial expression didn't confirm it. 'Excuse me?'

'Normally I wouldn't wanna comment on your issues but this can't be true right?' Karry spoke up next.

I wanted to explain that it was all part of the plan, but they couldn't know about the secret. And I didn't even know that people were watching us in the cafeteria, and it suddenly made me more uncomfortable than I was before.

'You get your heart broken by Junlin and now you still don't wanna learn a lesson!? Yaxuan could be worse than Junlin, I know he looks harmless but I think by now you know how many hearts he's broken.' Roy got up. 'And I clearly told you to stay away from him and you didn't listen?'

'It's not what you think though. I just hang out with him once.' I tried to defend myself, regardless of the fact that Roy would have to see me with Yaxuan several more times.

'No I'm seriously mad at you, you're a brat.' Roy said in a serious tone. 'I don't want to see you around that guy again. And I'm out of here, I can't stand you right now.'

Even though my brother was normally playful with me, I knew not to say anything when he was this serious. His duality was something I had learned to understand over the years. Without saying goodbye, he left the room and slammed the door on his way out.