Chapter 30

Yaxuan didn't want to tell Akira that getting a private investigator was currently not an option, but he had no choice but to tell her. That evening just after supper, he called her when he had went into his room. He understood how disappointing it was going to be, knowing Akira was probably losing the last hope that she had.

He was lying on his bed when Akira finally picked up her cellphone.

'Hey Akira,' Yaxuan said almost immediately when she had picked up her cellphone. 'So I got some bad news.'

'Oh, I think I have an idea,' she replied, already predicting that it would be about the last thing they talked about: a PI.

'Yeah,' he answered sadly. 'My mom won't give me cash for that, but it's alright, next month when she gives me my usual allowance, I'll spare some and use it on the Private Investigator, then...'

'Yaxuan its fine,' Akira interrupted him, not wanting to cause any inconveniences. 'You don't have to spend your allowance on that, use it for what you usually it for.'

'But...'

'Besides,' she continued, wanting to completely remove the idea from his head. 'We can't wait until next month, I'm gonna have to act now and find Roy before it's too late. Thanks though, I really appreciate it.'

'Oh,' he nodded as if she could see him. 'Fine, I'm really sorry about it though. I don't know what's gotten into her. I'll help you find Roy, I promise.'

She slightly smiled, 'Oh thanks,'

'Yea I know how it feels to not know where your family member is, it's a painful feeling. And I also feel your pain because I care about you, I don't want someone I care about to be sad.'

'Oh...thanks,' Akira was hoping she would find a better way to respond to this, but she mentally face palmed at her response. She could have said something better, but she didn't want Yaxuan to actually care for her. She started to feel guilty when she remembered that she was simply doing this for the Heartbreak Club. For a moment she had forgotten about it, but now it popped up in her head again.

'Okay goodnight,' he chuckled awkwardly. 'Maybe we can meet up tomorrow and discuss a new plan to find Roy since the other one has been messed up.'

'Yeah,' she answered once more, sounding a bit distant and guarded. Yaxuan understood she didn't want to talk, so he quickly gave his goodbye and cut the call.

'Girls,' he said to himself as he put the phone underneath his pillow then turned to the wall and started to sleep.

...

The next morning, Junlin was brushing his teeth in the bathroom when he heard the doorbell ring. He frowned to himself, annoyed with the person who would visit their apartment this early.

He decided to ignore the person when the doorbell rang again.

'Coming!!!' Junlin shouted loudly with his mouth full of toothpaste foam. He quickly and angrily rinsed his mouth, then walked over to the front door, still in his pajamas and a pair of house slippers.

He opened the door and was surprised to see Cait standing there, it was only 07:00 am.

'Is Yaxuan in?' She asked in a low voice, her face showed something between fear and sadness, or both.

'Uh yeah?' he answered. 'You wanna meet him?'

She nodded, and Junlin moved away from the door.

'He's in his room, I think he's still sleeping.' Junlin informed her with surprise still written on his features. 'It's the last door in the corridor, to the left.' he pointed.

She nodded once more then walked to the corridor. She walked quickly to the corridor, and made her way to the last door at the left. She knocked hard on the white wood and waited for a response.

'Who is it?' Yaxuan's drowsy voice rang from his room.

'It's Cait.' She answered, still lowly but loud enough for Yaxuan to hear.

'Cait!?' Yaxuan asked once more. There was shuffling heard on the other side for a short while before Yaxuan opened the door with a smile. 'Hey how are you doing?'

She slightly smiled at his cute patterned pajamas then looked at him. 'I'm fine. We need to talk.'

'Talk?' Yaxuan repeated the word with curiosity. 'Okay yeah, no problem. Must be important if you came here this early.'

He let her in his room and sat down on the bed, while she sat down on the other side. She seemed deathly serious, and this was a side of Cait which he had never seen yet before.

He looked at her curiously, waiting for her to say something, but it seemed she was hesitating.

'Anyway...I wanted to say that you should take good care of yourself and you shouldn't trust anyone...not even the closest.' she informed him.

'What?' Yaxuan asked her, obviously confused at who she was talking about and why she had to say that. 'Why are you telling me this?'

'I can't tell you why, it will overwhelm you.'

'Geez!' Yaxuan cried in exasperation. 'What's up with you and mom? It's not like I'm still a kid. You can tell me anything now, I'm grown up.'

'I just don't want to say much because you'll end up doing something that will hurt you and involve you in this. I just don't want you to trust the people around you, just don't.' She leaned in a bit closer, wanting to whisper. 'Most 'f them are not who they say they are.'

'Just tell me the people Vivi, and I'll probably be more careful if you tell me everything in detail.' Yaxuan didn't bother to lower his voice. 'First of all, you refused to tell me about where you've been and what happened in the past years. And now you're not telling me these so-called people I shouldn't trust?'

'That's all you need to know.' She got up. 'Anyway, I have to go. Get ready for school, no skipping classes today okay bro?'

He stood as well. 'I'll skip them if you don't tell me.'

She chuckled. 'I always do what's best for you, just trust me. I know what you need to know wand what you don't need to know.'

Yaxuan wanted to trust Cait, but he felt like too much information was being held from him. But he knew Cait, he knew she wasn't going to say anything despite how much he pleaded or asked.

Cait turned back to him with teary eyes, 'and one more thing, if anything happens to me, don't be sad.'

'What!?' Yaxuan couldn't help but overreact at this point.

She walked out of the room and shut the door. Yaxuan's heart was racing at this point, and he ran over to the door and opened it.

'Vivi come on, don't you think at this point you're hiding too much!?' he asked her, standing in his door and poking half of his body out.

'Hey, remember it's a secret okay?' she reminded him, 'I'll explain next time when your housemate isn't here.'

He pouted. 'Hmm, alright then.'

'Good boy.' She gave him a thumbs up. 'Now get ready for school, I have to go.'

'Fine.'

Cait walked out of the corridor and almost bumped into Junlin who was standing at the right of the corridor opening.

She put her hand on her heart, 'geez Junlin, you scared me.'

'Oh don't mind me,' Junlin moved away from where he was standing. 'I'm sure you and Yaxuan had a fruitful conversation, I mean, who wouldn't want to talk with his SISTER?' He emphasized the word and stared at her.

Cait didn't reply, instead, she continued to walk towards the front door.

'What the hell are you up to Cait?' He asked her.

'I'm pretty sure you eavesdropped on everything, I don't have to answer that question.' She said coldly, now grabbing the door handle.

'You poor thing,' he tatted, then watched her as she left the room.