Part 1.9

Addy's knocking on my door. She's wearing a slight frown over her glittered eyelids.

"Addy, this really isn't a good time."

Her frown deepens. "I waited for you for hours. You said you'd come to the potions room this morning."

Ah.

"I got caught up with something..."

Addy surveys the mess in my room. My bed is unmade, and there are candy wrappers strewn across the floor. Onyx is snoring in a puddle of my sweaters.

Addy takes a seat and fixes me with a look of scrutiny. ""Lily...are you okay?"

"No, I'm not." I flop onto my bed. "Things just can't be simple. I lose control over my powers as soon as I disconnect from Amarat's life, and now there's something horrible mocking me from the Dark Witch only knows where. I'll need another thousand years to get this right."

Addy blinks. "There are dark circles under your eyes. Lily..." She trails off. When she speaks again her voice is slow and careful. "When was the last time you slept? Or...ate?"

"I just woke up," I reply, a bit confused.

Addy fiddles with her wrists. "Lily...I think you should talk to someone about this. You've been under a lot of stress lately. My cousin went to therapy for a while - it really helped her."

I stare at her, stunned. "Addy, talking about this isn't going to help. What would a therapist know about witchcraft?"

She shifts uncomfortably. "They can help with that too. Most people have bad thoughts about themselves from time to time..."

It finally dawns on me. The realization is like a bucket of ice water. "You...don't believe me." My voice comes out thin. "You think I'm crazy."

Addy leaps up and grabs my hands. "No, Lily, no! You're not crazy. You're stressed, and Ruby's been filling your mind with stories, and you just need to rest and take care of yourself..."

I push her hands away. She never believed me. This whole time she thought I was losing my mind.

The chandelier trembles.

I scramble for the bracelet.

Poor little Lily. She thought she had friends.

"Leave me alone!" I shout.

Addy reels back, shocked.

Why don't I finish her for you? I long to breathe her pain as the fire singes her bones.

I throw the bracelet at the wall. It hits with the sound of bones cracking.

I round on Addy. "You want proof, Adamantine? You want to see what I can do?" There's no room in my mind for anything but rage. I hate her. I hate Amarat. I hate the voice.

The floor under my feet starts to shake.

"I'm out of control! Look! The whole world's coming apart!"

"That's enough, Lily!" Addy's hands are balled into fists. "I've been patient. I've tried to help. I've listened while you went on about witches and spaceships and all sorts of insane things! I'm done, Lily. I'm done."

She heads for the door. As she grasps the knob, she turns to face me. "You might not be a witch, Lily...but you're certainly acting like one."

There's a thundering CRACK.

Addy goes flying backwards. She hits the wall with a sickening thud.

The breath drains from my lungs.

The chandelier becomes still.

The floor stops shaking.

And Addy lies there, still as winter ice, a trickle of bright red blood staining her forehead.