Part 4.15

A YEAR BEFORE THE DARK AGES
ALICIA

The jigsaw boy was Alicia's brother. He had not died after all. He was born with deformed limbs, and the healers couldn't fix him. Even the fire quartz the duke acquired, as was his right as a noble, couldn't straighten out his crooked bones.

Being the firstborn son, he was the heir to his father's title. The duke and duchess knew what this meant. They could not have this misshapen boy represent their family. They told everyone he had died, and hid him away in the attic. Only Bethany was allowed to attend him. He had never ventured outside the attic. He had only ever seen the sun through the bars at his window.

Alicia felt a wrenching pity for the boy. When he smiled she saw unhindered joy. When he cried, aching grief.

Still, she abided by her parents' wishes to keep him hidden. Their family reputation was at stake. None of the other nobles could know of his, for the sake of the House of Tyfyr. Alicia would stand as her father's heir. She would in time bear a son, and the family's legacy would live on unblemished.

And yet.

The boy was pure, untainted by humanity. He wanted to see the sun. He wanted to taste the wind.

"I love him with all my heart," the duchess said. "But this is what must be."

And Alicia knew it to be true.

This is what must be.