Part 2.14

You didn't use the power. Onyx's eyes are cold.

"I wasn't strong enough."

That is a lie.

We're in my quarters. I'm still weak, but I'm recovering. I've told Big Boss I was injured during a run in with Maya's "stalker". He's letting me take the week off.

"Look, Onyx - that orb is drifting in space now. No one's going to find it. There are no Phaedreans to break the seal, even if someone does happen to discover it. It's gone for good."

You do not know that. Onyx closes his eyes. When he opens them they're black and emotionless. You could have used the power to destroy both Scion and the orb for good. If you had been focused you would have been strong enough to resist its darkness. But you chose not to.

"There was no choice, Onyx."

Onyx regards me coldly. There is always a choice. You have made yours. He turns, then pauses. Lily? I know the orb will return one day. When it does, the streets will run red with blood. Bodies will lie where they fell. And when that happens, it will be on your conscience.

*

Maya's pink eyes dance with amusement. Her shoulder is bandaged, but the wound is healing. "My stalker put up quite the fight," she muses.

I take a sip of green tea. "His name is Andreas Lisbon. He developed an obsession with you after seeing your shows. He may have been in love with you."

"Ah. I see."

It's been a few days since my fight with Scion. Onyx is still angry with me, but he'll come around. We've been together since I was an infant.

It turns out Scion was bluffing about the servant he'd killed. At least, we think so. All Maya's servants are accounted for. I'm still afraid though, that one day they'll pull back a pile of leaves and find a body.

Maya sits back and fixes me with a coy smile. "I really must thank you, Lily. You've done an amazing job. I had a feeling you would. You're...different, aren't you? As for my tormentor, I don't suppose it matters what he was. A stalker, an alien...he's gone, and that's all that matters."

I frown. "Maya, your stalker was human."

Maya gives me one of her bubbly show-time giggles. "It's okay, Lily. Your secret's safe with me."