Part 6.15

LILY

The Witch Doctors Inc building gleams against the night sky. The whole city is alive, as if it's been doused with magic. If crystal could smile...I shake my head. I'm sounding like Addy now.

Onyx lazes next to me, his face buried in a strawberry cupcake. I bought him an extra large one as a thank-you-for-saving-me-from-evil present. He's getting icing all over the bench, messy creature that he is.

All the hearts in the Forbidden Place have been released to their owners, according to
Onyx and Queen Irine. That's how the legend goes, apparently. When the heart keeper goes beneath the earth to sleep, every heart she has ever taken is returned.

"What about those who have died already?" I'd asked.

"The hearts join their owners," Queen Irine replied. "In this world or the next."

I'm glad Rikamu is reunited with her siblings. After an eternity of loneliness, she is where she belongs. In a way, she was like those lost hearts. Alone, always yearning to be whole again.

I've lost some of the memories that the darkness brought me. I guess I'll have to pry them out of the cat. Though I have another source now.

The pendant hums against my chest. I close my palm over it. It feels warm, light. Bethany is happy.

I'm happy too.

There is still so much to learn, and I have questions I want answered. I remember Onyx's true form, but I don't remember what he is. I don't remember our history on Phaedra.

I want to. I want to know everything. If my home planet is truly gone, what happened to it? Why am I the last of my kind?

I can't rely on the cat to tell me. I'll have to discover it myself. He claims he has a method with all this secret-keeping. I think he's full of glocha droppings.

Still, I'm happy. For once, the darkness is safely at bay. Bethany protects me. We will always be together, two pieces that don't quite fit, but make a whole anyway.

Addy is delighted that her new boyfriend isn't a psychopath. She's been on a few picnics since I came back. The faeries really like her too.

Maya has started shooting a movie, something all the kids are excited about. She's busy acting and photoshooting and directing, and whatever else it is she does. The film is expected to be a real hit.

Ruby wriggles her eyebrows at me every time I pass her at reception, as if we're both partners in crime. I reserve my grumpiest frown for her.

And, of course, me, Addy and Onyx have our weekly cupcake sessions. It's great to be back to normal again. I have my friends around me (including a couple more that I didn't ask for), and my dreams are filled with the good kind of magic - spells and cauldrons and frogs.

My career is finally going well. Big Boss even gave me a commendation for one of the cases I worked.

The sun tastes brighter, and the moon brings new dreams.

For the first time in a while, my heart is whole.

***

END OF EPISODE SIX
END OF SEASON ONE

E