Part 3.14

Dead.

The word sounds hollow, unreal. She can't be dead. If she was dead, then I'd killed her, and I can't have killed her.

I didn't hit her that hard, did I?

Lily. Pull yourself together.

Queen Irine claps slowly, a mirthless laugh dripping from her lips. "Well done, Lily. I never would have guessed, with all your fumbling and stumbling."

Onyx hops of Bronna's chest and snarls at her.

"Now now," the queen chides. "Do tell your familiar to behave, Lily. I would hate for anything to happen to him."

"What's going on?" Addy demands. "Lily, why did you..."

I keep my gaze away from Bronna's still form. "Addy, that isn't your mother," I say. "Your mother gave Rikamu her heart, and this is all that's left. She's the one who's been trying to kill you."

Addy blinks. "Hami?"

Queen Irine looks down at her daughter, worry creasing her forehead. "Do not exert yourself, Adamantine. I would rather the salve not take effect until after you have signed the abdication papers."

"Abdication...?"

"That's correct." The queen's smile is ghost-thin. "You can sign over control of the tribe to me. Then you can leave. Take your witch with you - I won't spill her little secret. No one needs to get hurt."

Addy's eyes are wide, and they shine with fresh tears. "Oh hami," she whispers, "how could you give your heart away?"

Onyx nips my foot. She is no match for you. Finish her now.

"I'll spare you," I tell the queen, "if you take your heart back."

She fixes me with an amused look. "Take my heart back? Why would I do that, little witch?"

I hold up my hand. Blue fire sparks at my fingertips.

A smile tugs at Queen Irine's lips. "You won't kill me," she says. There's a hint of disgust in her voice. "You don't have what it takes."

"I killed Bronna." As soon as I say the words, they sink into my stomach like lead. I hold onto an overhanging branch to keep from swaying.

"That was a mistake." She shrugs. "You panicked. You could never have done it otherwise. You, Lily, are a witch with a soggy heart." She smiles at her own choice of words.

"Please, hami." There's a tinge of hopelessness in Addy's voice. "Please take your heart back. I know Lima's death hurt, and Dami's , but we'll get through it together..."

Queen Irine regards her daughter with something like curiosity. "I have no reason to take it back. I am much more efficient without it. We all are."

Beside me, Onyx shakes his head. You must kill her, Lily. It is the only way. She will hurt so many if you don't. And she will never let you or Adamantine leave here alive.

My finger wobbles. A thread of blue coils around it. Addy's eyes plead with me. I can't kill her mother...can I?

You made a mistake with the orb of Ariadne. You let your emotions get in the way. Do not make the same mistake now. Kill her, Lily. Kill her now.

I raise my hand. Blue fire shoots towards the queen.

"No!" Addy screams. She stumbles forward, but she's too late. Her mother is cocooned in blue flames, her head slumped forward. Still.

"Lily, how could you?"