Part 5.21

PRESENT TIME
LILY

We've parked ourselves in the waiting room of the hospital ward Ruby's in. We're taking shifts watching her. We've managed to convince Dr Carron that Ruby wants to escape again. They've reinstated the guard at her door.

Ruby, of course, doesn't know any of this. She's murder us if she did. Then again, it's better than being murdered by the deity possessing her.

"This guard thing again," she moans, during my turn to sit with her. "Why are they so afraid I'm going to escape? I've never even tried. Plus, I feel fine."

Her eyes are back to their usual amethyst colour. The gold streaks are gone from her hair. I search her face for any signs of murderous intent, but find none.

She's acting like the thing in the alley never happened. I assume she isn't conscious when Amitabh takes over. It's eerie, knowing that Amitabh could be watching me right now. I don't know if that's how the possession works, but the idea is enough to make me careful about what I say in front of Ruby.

I'm careful what I say in front of Onyx and Addy too. If they knew what I was planning, they'd stop me.

Maya is the next to sit with Ruby. "Have you got a blood sample yet?" she whispers as we pass each other in the hallway.

"Yes," I lie.

Diagnostics aren't going to help us. We already know what's going on. Maya knows that Ruby's being controlled by a foreign entity - we've given her the edited version of the story. Everything that happened with Rikamu has been cut out.

Maya frowns. The black sparkles in her hair brighten, then dull. "I suspect this Amitabh creature will return at night," she says. "So far it's been unwilling to draw attention to itself. It could have killed the guard at Ruby's door last time, but refrained from doing so. It's likely to try another attack in the ward tonight."

I set my lips in a firm line. "We'll be ready, Maya. We've got pouches of sleep charm ready to go."

That part's true. The plan is to immobilise Ruby if Amitabh tries any funny business. No one knows my plan though.

*

It's an hour after sunset, and Amitabh still hasn't shown himself.

"Coward," I mutter.

He knows there's another magical being in the room. He was happy to prey on defenceless humans, but when it comes to someone who can fight back, he stays away.

Ruby's getting annoyed with us. "You guys don't have to be here all the time. It's like I've got two extra guards. Also...while I was sleeping, there was a stranger here? I only woke up for a second or two, but I'm pretty sure neither of you have pink hair with black sparkles."

"It's a new charm," Addy says quickly. "I wanted to change my look up."

Okay...getting Maya to help keep watch was a bad idea. Ruby doesn't know she's the one who hired us. If she did, she'd be even more suspicious to see Maya skulking around. Maya has accompanied us on some of our earlier visits, but she always disguised herself with a headscarf and sunglasses so as not to cause a ruckus. She'd only take them off if no one else was around. Apparently a sleeping Ruby counts as "no one".

When Ruby leans back onto her pillow and closes her eyes, Addy leans over to whisper to me. "The plan's working, Lil. Amitabh doesn't want to come out with us around."

I swallow my annoyance. The plan - my plan - was not working. I need Amitabh to show up.

"It's best not to provoke Ruby," I whisper back. "We could tell her we're leaving, then go sit in the corridor. If she leaves for a 'bathroom break', we'll throw the sleep charms at her."

Addy bites her lip. "I don't know, Lil. What if she hurts the guard?"

"Amitabh never hurt the guard before. Even if he does, we'll be right outside."

Addy pulls at one of her curls. "I guess..."

I farewell Ruby and drag Addy out the door before any second guesses are made.

Hours later, Amitabh still hasn't shown. I poke my head into Ruby's room a couple of times, but there aren't any telltale streaks of gold in sight.

I really want Addy to go home so I can enact my plan.

Maya turns up too, much to my annoyance.

The nurse also comes by to look for Dr Carron. "Maybe I'll wait here," she says. "Dr Carron might come by to check on Ruby. He missed her evening check, and I can't find him anywhere."

Okay, now I'm mad. This isn't a party. I don't need all these accursed people here. It's a real struggle to keep my temper. Addy and Maya keep whispering about Amitabh, the nurse keeps pacing, the guard's eating potato chips with his mouth open, and for frog's sake - Ruby's snoring.

I try not to cry with joy when visiting hours end. The nurse ushers us out the hallway, and Addy and Maya will have to oblige, but as soon as I'm out the hospital door I'm teleporting right back in. Maya and Addy will take turns watching for any signs of disturbance from outside the hospital, but I've got my own plans to pursue.

"Visiting hours are open again at six tomorrow morning," the nurse tells us. "Oh, and if you run into Dr Carron on the way out, could you let him know I'm looking for him? He hasn't been answering his communications monitor."

The nurse at the reception desk looks up at the mention of Dr Carron's name. "Oh, Dr Carron wasn't feeling well, so he went out to get some fresh air. I saw him in the gardens not long ago. The hair looks good on him."

Ruby's nurse looks bewildered. "He didn't let anyone know. And what hair?"

The other nurse leafs through some papers, unbothered. "You know... the gold streaks. They really suit him."

Oh, frogs.