Part 4.4

A YEAR BEFORE THE DARK AGES
ALICIA

It bothered her. Not the scraping itself, but the way it started and stopped, an uneven rhythm, like something was being dragged across the attic floor by someone with no sense of time.

The maid, Bethany, watched the window with those glow worm eyes of hers. Alicia did admire those eyes. Emerald, like the stone on her mother's ring.

"Bethany," she murmured, her breath warm against the bed sheets. "I do find it hard to sleep with the noise."

Bethany whipped her head around, startled. Her eyes went straight to the floor. "I'm sorry, my lady," she said. "The rats always come back."

Alicia sighed. After the fire, she was moved to this room on the top floor, and she regretted the decision deeply. The sounds coming from the attic were downright displeasing. Not to mention the cold draft and the way the one window creaked. It was in no way befitting the eldest daughter of the noble house of Tyfyr.

"Put out more poison," she suggested. "It's hard enough to get to sleep with that creaky window."

Bethany nodded, her eyes still downcast. "Yes, my lady."

"If that doesn't do the trick, I shall go up and confront the accursed creatures myself."

Nervousness wavered on Bethany's face. "The attic is not to be entered, my lady. Your father has forbidden it."

Alicia rolled her eyes. "Oh, don't fret. I was only joking."

Relief eased the creases from Bethany's forehead. That girl was always worrying. Alicia had no idea why. It was like she was perpetually frightened.

"You may go now, Bethany. Don't forget the rat poison tomorrow morning."

Bethany curtsied and scurried out of the room. Bethany was the only servant allowed in the attic. Alicia's mother didn't like anyone else in there. She used it as a shrine to her son. Alicia's younger brother, who had died in infancy. Alicia only knew from Bethany that there were portraits and mementos, and candles that were always lit.

The duchess never spoke of her son to anyone but Bethany. Bethany had attended her and the baby, and she'd been there when he took his last breath.

Alicia couldn't imagine that her mother would want rats nibbling away at her brother's memories.

Her eyes fluttered closed as she sank into a lukewarm sleep. The last thing she saw was a wisp of auburn hair burning in the dark.