Part 4.17

I'm giving Onyx the silent treatment. If he's willing to let Amanda die, he's no friend of mine. I refuse to learn witch magic from him. I refuse to acknowledge his existence.

"He'll come around, Lily," Addy insists. "Just give him some time." She shoves a handful of papers under my nose. "Here, read Ivy's latest essay. It'll distract you. Also, it's not plagiarised this time."

I frown, confused. "Who?"

"Ivy. Bronna's sister."

Pain shoots through my head. I fall to my knees, head in hands.

"Lily!"

"I'm fine." I push her away. "What are those papers for?"

Addy's face droops with worry. "It's Ivy's essay. We were just talking about it."

I let out a long breath. My head still aches a little. "I don't remember, Addy."

"Lily," she says slowly, "do you remember Bronna?"

A memory starts to throb. I shake it away. "Look, Addy, I have a lot on my plate right now. Amanda's getting worse, and I still don't know how to break the curse."

Addy closes her eyes, as if the sight of me causes her pain. "Lily...you haven't spoken about Bronna since she died. Every time someone brings it up, your head hurts. I'm your friend, Lil, and I know what closing off looks like."

She did, it's true. Her mother closed off when her little sister died. But that's not what I'm doing. "I just can't remember, Addy, and it's better that way. The guilt was eating me up."

"If you keep pushing it down, your head's going to explode," Addy warns.

"I don't have time to dwell, Addy. I need to focus on the curse."

Addy's frown has been plastered on her face so long I worry it's permanent. "Okay, Lil. But after this curse business is done with, I want to come back to this. I just don't think the way you're dealing with it is healthy."

What is it about me that attracts lectures from people? I honestly, truly don't have time to think about stuff like this. It's bad enough that the accursed cat's been throwing shade my way every chance he gets. He turns up in the afternoon, meowing softly. Are you any better? We must not hold off your training forever. You still have much to learn.

I shrug. "I won't be learning anything from you. I guess I'll just let my powers go haywire and destroy the world."

Do not be an idiot. We will resume when you have healed.

"No we won't, Onyx."

Maybe it's the finality in my voice, but Onyx stiffens slightly. Fear wriggles in his eyes, black and distant. There really is no way to break this curse that is acceptable, Lily. The price is too high.

"What's the price?" My voice is soft, like unfallen snow.

A piece of your heart.