Part 5.6

The cart whizzes past us, honking furiously.

"Give me a break," I mutter.

I wasn't standing that far off the pavement.

Me and Addy are waiting for Maya to show up with her flying carts. Onyx couldn't come because they haven't trialled animals in them yet.

I draw my coat around me. Twilight infuses the city with unearthly colours. The crystal towers above glint with emerald, rose pink and lilac. Down below where we are, the buildings are a patchwork of opaque and clear magnamite. Where the magnamite is clear - in windows, rotating doors, and embellishments - my reflection follows my every move. It's there in the duller crystal too, but fainter, and deeper.

I used to find it uncomfortable, living in a city of mirrors. Now my reflection is just that - a reflection. A face with eyes and lips and a nose. I don't see my failures staring back at me.

Zilitron is busy this evening. People strut past, in and out of buildings,, snapping into their communication monitors. Carts whoosh though the spaces in between buildings, their sleek exteriors winking at us as they pass. From somewhere unseen a busker's call weaves through pedestrians. "The apocalypse is coming! Save yourself!"

Addy can barely contain her excitement when we hear the soft whir of an engine above us. Three carts begin their descent through the buildings.

"They're here," Addy squeals. "Lily, this is going to be SO much fun!"

They really do look like little spaceships. They're round in shape, no more than ten paces wide, with crystal embellishments that throw back squares of light our way.

One cart lands in front of us, while the other two hover in wait. Someone hops out. I recognise Maya's pink and black striped hair. She's clad in a pink dress the same shade as her eyes, with silver heels.

"Oh this is so embarrassing," Addy says, pulling at her skirt with restless fingers. "I hope she doesn't think we're desperate."

Maya approaches us with a tight smile. A uniformed guard remains by the cart. "Lily, Addy. It's a pleasure to see the two of you again."

"How have you been, Maya?" I ask her.

"I've been very well, thanks to the help from you two." Her eyes linger on me, taking in my black coat and boots. "I hear you're doing well at Witch Doctors Inc, Lily." She smiles at my surprise. "I have my sources."

I blink. Is she...spying on me?

"And Addy, stunning as always."

Addy beams like a lighthouse. "I'm so sorry about my mother approaching you like that," she says. "I know you're busy, and there are so many others entering the competition, and it's not fair that we cut the line -"

Maya cuts her off with a smile and a quick shake of the head. "It's alright, Addy. I'm more than happy to do something nice for the two of you. Thanks to you, I've got my life back. I was a mess when I reached out to you. I couldn't sleep, I jumped at every little noise, and I was nervous of everyone who passed me on the street."

Really? I remember her being pretty calm and collected.

"I actually wanted to reach out to you before, but I thought you might think it was weird."

"I thought you might think it was weird!" Addy exclaims.

I think this whole thing is weird. Carts are meant to be on the ground, safe and sound, and celebrities aren't supposed to stalk normal people.

"Do you want to pick your carts? The second one's a little lighter."

They both look the same to me.