Part 6.2

LILY

I always come back to this place.

Stars smile at me with dewy eyes; the trees are wild and uncaring. This used to be a field once. I would come here with Onyx to watch the stars and dream of home.

That was a thousand years ago.

Now trees twist up from the earth, painting the landscape with leaves and shadows. There's a raised rock jutting out of the canopy, just where it was a thousand years ago.

This was the first place I thought of to go. Well no, that's not exactly true. The first place I thought of was the Forest of Sorrows, but I can't go back there. It's too dangerous after what happened last time.

I swing my legs over the side of the rock, cradling my aching head in my hands. The dark power took a lot out of me. It's going to take me a while to get my strength back. I don't want anyone finding me until I'm ready. They won't accept what I've become. They'll try to change me back.

I don't want to change back. Thanks to the dark power, many more of my memories have come back to me. I remember everything about the Dark Ages. It was a glorious time. A hundred years of vengeance, spiced with misery and fear.

It shouldn't have ended. I'm annoyed that it ended. What right did she have to do what she did? I made a choice. It was mine to make.

I smile, thinking of what's to come. Humanity was going to get what it deserved once more. They didn't know it yet, but they were on the cusp of something great...

...The Second Dark Ages.