Part 6.13

LILY

"I'm so glad you're back, Lily." Addy throws her arms around me. Her face is a mess of tears. "I'm so glad Onyx got to you in time."

"We would've come too," Ruby points out, "if your cat hadn't drugged us."

Onyx licks lemon icing off his paw. Tell her I didn't drug her. I sprinkled sleep charm on her.

"Tell her yourself," I snap.

Addy beams at both of us. "Don't be mean to Onyx, Lily. He's the hero of the day! We couldn't have done any of this without him."

I roll my eyes. "Alright, alright," I grumble. "Thanks, cat."

Your insincere apology is accepted.

"Good to know that I'm the more powerful one though," I add.

Onyx yawns. You are not the more powerful one. I was the clear winner of the battle.

"Only because you cheated."

I was only pretending to be hurt so I could catch you unaware. It was my plan all along.

Oh no he doesn't. I'm not accepting that. I won, and that's final. I'm the more powerful one. He needs to get over himself.

Maya leans forward. "Are you feeling okay?" she asks me. "You've been through a lot. You'll need to rest it out."

"I'm fine," I reply. "For someone who almost took over the world."

Addy takes my hand. "It wasn't your fault, Lily," she says. "We all make mistakes."

"I made a pretty big one, Addy. I should never have used the dark power. I should've listened to you guys. I killed Dr Carron. I would've killed countless people, if you guys hadn't bailed me out."

Addy scratches her chin thoughtfully. "My mother tried to kill you once," she says. "She tried to kill me too, come to think of it."

"I went serial killer for a bit," Ruby adds. "The bodies were really piling up."

I have not attempted to murder anyone, Onyx says proudly.

"The point is," Ruby continues, "we all belong in prison. So don't think you're special or anything."

Maya sighs, lips stretching into a tired smile. "What she's trying to say is - we're here for you. We aren't judging you."

"Really?" I ask. I've done some pretty judgeable things.

"Maya and Ruby have been so supportive," Addy tells me. "They really helped a lot."

"Wow," I say. "I thought you guys would..." I shrug, leaving my sentence hanging.

"Come after you with pitchforks?" Maya finishes for me. "Friends stick by each other."

Friends. When did I pick up two extra friends? I didn't agree to this.

"Addy's boyfriend helped too," Ruby pipes up.

"Ruby!" Addy wails. "He's not my boyfriend!"

"Addy has a boyfriend?" I rub my eyes sleepily. This is all a bit much at once.

"Prince Marsi of Sactaphrane," Ruby spills. "He's a real weirdo."

Maya rolls her eyes. "He's not that bad."

Onyx huffs. He is not good enough for our Adamantine.

A lot seems to have happened while I was plotting to destroy the world.

"I'm worried about him." Addy fiddles with a lock of her hair. "He hasn't been answering any of my messages. I went to the palace, but no one answered the door."

"That is odd," Maya admits.

"Maybe he's just taking a break," I suggest.

Addy shakes her head. "I think something bad's happened to him. Lily..." She looks at me nervously. "I know you've been through a lot, but once you heal...could you teleport me into the prince's palace?"

I blink. "Addy...are you asking me to help you break into someone's house?"

"Sort of...well, yes. But I'm honestly worried about him, Lil. He could be hurt."

I sigh. "Fine. But this is the last break-in I'm doing."

"Thank you so much, Lily!" Addy throws her arms around me again.

Alright, alright. That's enough hugging for one day.

I prop up my pillow, and something squeaks. Reaching inside the case, I pull out something soft and rubbery.

My rubber mouse toy! Onyx exclaims, delighted. I knew you had it, Lily.

"Wrong. You obviously put it there. I haven't used that pillow in ages."

Onyx pounces on the mouse gleefully. A volley of squeaks follows.

"I guess that solves that mystery," I say. "I'm going to get some sleep. Come see me in a day or two, Addy. I believe we have a break-in to orchestrate."