Part 1.14

The air of the Crystal Hills is clearer than any I've ever breathed. It's tinged with the sharp scent of pine.

Onyx takes a deep breath. I could get used to this, he muses.

I'm setting up here for a while. After all that's happened I need some time away.

Addy is doing much better, though her arm's still in a sling. We told everyone it was an accident. A couple of people still think I pushed her, but there's no evidence to back up their claims. No one, at least, thinks I'm a witch.

I was finally able to show Addy my powers. Her eyes went wide when I showed her my glass horse trick. I told her everything. She understands, for real this time.

Addy and Onyx want me to take the Witch Doctors Inc retraining exams. It isn't a bad idea, but I'm not ready. I need to explore what it means to be a witch. The connection worked - my powers are now permanent. But I still have a lot to learn. Onyx is going to teach me.

When I'm ready I'll return to Witch Doctors Inc. I'll be able to help a lot of people with my new powers. As long as no one finds out I'm a witch, things should go smoothly.

As for the fire - there was moderate damage to the Witch Doctors building. They're rebuilding the west wing, but there were only a few minor injuries. It seems I stopped the First Witch in time.

What about here? Onyx paws the earth under a pine tree.

I shake my head. "It needs to be open space. I want her to see the stars."

There's a glade nearby that proves to be perfect. The grass is lush and spring-scented, and the earth below is moist with dew. I hand Amarat's bracelet to Onyx. He closes his eyes, and the earth parts before him. He drops the bracelet in the pit. The earth re-forms over it.

It was my idea to bury Amarat's bracelet. I like to think that a part of her - the real her - still remains. The creature she became can't be all that's left of the bright, bubbly girl who fell from the stars.

I don't have any proof. There's no evidence pointing to it. But somehow this is just as real. Logic hadn't defeated the First Witch, after all.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still a scientist. I'll never cease to have respect for the facts. But I can still want Amarat's bracelet to be buried under the stars. It's the only place for her. She fell from the stars a thousand years ago, and she's been wandering ever since.

It's my wish that on a clear night, when the wind is gentle and the moon is not too bright, the earth over the bracelet will drift aside. A pinch of starlight will touch its blackened vines, just enough to elicit a glint from the silver underneath. At that moment time will hold still, and Amarat will be home once more.

END OF EPISODE ONE

(Episode Two coming up!)