Part 2.3

My mouth hangs open.

"What kind of aliens?" Addy probes.

"I don't know. He kept calling himself a 'warrior of Ariadne'. His form was strange; it kept shifting. I think he had horns."

"Horns?" Addy's eyes are wide. "Sounds like a scary experience. I think you're brave, Maya, opening up about it."

I finally collect myself. "What makes you think you're being followed by aliens?"

"I woke up while they were probing me. They spoke to me. They were asking all sorts of questions. When they were done they returned me to my bed."

I have to tread carefully here. This is a girl with more followers than there are stars in the sky. "Do you think it could have been a dream?"

Maya gives a dry smile. "It wasn't a dream. I know the difference."

"What did the alien want?" Addy cuts in.

I don't know whether to kill her or thank her. At least she's buying me time.

"He wanted to know about some orb. He kept asking where I found the orb, what I knew about it. I kept telling him I didn't know what he was talking about."

While Addy was mulling this over, I tried a new tactic. "But the alien returned you. He knows you don't have the information he wants. You're safe now."

Maya shakes her head. "He's following me. Everywhere I go I see him."

"Could it be one of your followers? You wouldn't be the first celebrity to have a stalker."

"No, it's him. I'd know him anywhere."

There's a sinking feeling in my stomach. I take back what I said before about her being shrewd. She's not shrewd. She's downright crazy.

I swallow the lump in my throat. "Maya...how would you like us to help you?"

Her pink eyes harden. "I want you to find him. And I want you to stop him."

*

I'm hysterical. "He's trying to ruin my life. Big Boss is literally trying to ruin my life." I laugh shrilly. "Alien abductions. Alien abductions. This is insane."

Addy scratches her thin thoughtfully. "Witches were insane just a year ago. Maybe Maya's onto something."

"She has no proof, Addy. Her story is a jumble of wild accusations. There isn't a shred of logic in there."

"If I were abducted by aliens, I probably wouldn't be making much sense either."

I stare at her. I swear, Onyx is trying not to laugh. His eyes are steady, but that cat is laughing at me.

"I think we should keep an open mind," Addy continues, "I wish my mind had been more open when you told me you were a witch last year."

"I had actual evidence!" I want to scream, but I hold back. Okay, Lily. Calm down. No one ever achieved anything through hysteria.

"Let's just carry on as if it's a normal investigation," I say instead. "That way we'll find the truth, no matter what it is."

Good work, Lily. I've been working on my diplomacy skills. I don't know why, but people just...irk me. Dark Witch curse it, I do know why. You can't believe in something for no reason. You have to have evidence. But not everyone agrees with me here. Some people rely on instincts. If I want to navigate this world, I'm going to have to ease up every now and then. Or try to, at least.

It's a good plan anyway. We investigate, find Maya's stalker. Show her he's not an alien. Problem solved. If I hadn't been freaking out before, I might've seen it sooner.

Perhaps she's been hexed to believe she was abducted by aliens. Or there could be some kind of nightmare curse on her.

"Good thinking, Onyx," I say.

Onyx chews his cupcake slowly. His eyes narrow. I never give him compliments.

I shrug. "What? It is. Maya seemed like a smart girl. There has to be a reason for these delusions."

You see what happens when I'm nice? I've gone and scared the cat now.

It's not just me trying to be diplomatic anymore. I'm tired. I feel completely deflated. I was so angry before, my mind was popping with it. Now that I've got a solution, all the oomph is gone.

Addy wipes icing from her mouth. "I'm taking it Onyx has an idea then?'

I nod. "Maya could be cursed or hexed. I'll run some diagnostics tomorrow. Then it's standard stalker protocol."

"You see? This assignment isn't so bad." Addy leans back onto the sofa. She winks. "We'll find Maya's 'warrior of Ariadne' in no time."

Onyx drops his cupcake.

"You'd better clean that up," I snap.

What did you say? His black eyes are large.

"It was something Maya said," I explain, scooping the cupcake up before it ends up under his paw. "She said it's what the so-called alien called himself."

Warrior of Ariadne. Those words exactly?

"Yes." I squint at the cat. "What's got your fur up?"

Lily...I think we have a problem.

*