Cold Sweat

His words rang through your head and sent various chills down your spine. You were scared. You were mad. You wanted to scream in his face but when you went to open your mouth, he silenced you again.

"Tsk, tsk. You made a deal with the devil my dear, and you can't get away from me." He grabbed your chin with his index finger and thumb, tilting your head to look up at him. His eyes were glowing bright, and you were unable to look away. His grip was firm, he started chuckling again as he slowly got closer to your face. 

You woke up startled, and screaming nonsense. You grabbed your bed sheets tightly, grounding yourself into reality as you tried to slow down your breathing. Suddenly, the door flew open with a loud thud once the handle reached the wall.

"You okay? I heard you scream." Vox appeared by your bed side, looking down at you with a weird look of concern. You could tell that the notion was foreign to him. He wasn't used to caring about many people.

It took you a moment to realize he was in the room. You looked up, tears streaming down your face. He looked startled, and a bit upset. He went to sit next to you on the bed, and you let him.

It was an awkward silence between you two, besides you sniffling and wiping your face of the wet stains tears leave behind.

After you calmed down more, and you felt like you were able to talk without bursting into tears again. You sighed heavily, and you were the first one to speak out of the silence.

"It was just a nightmare..Nothing to worry about." You attempted a small smile, but it looked pitiful. Vox gave you a small side hug.

"A nightmare can still hold meaning. Do you want to talk about it?"  He asked gently. He didn't seem he changed somehow, he was softer in nature than before with the others. 

You heaved a big sigh, preparing yourself for the roller coaster of emotions again. Once you got mentally prepared, you told him everything. Down to the last detail. 

After you were all done explaining the dream to him, there was another pause as he leaned back against the wall. 

"That's one hell of a nightmare (Y/n)." He said, looking at you, making sure you were okay.

You sighed and nodded. It felt like it was real, and not just a dream. You vaguely remember some of the dreams you first had of Alastor and shivered.

Vox thought for a moment. "It seems like you're scared of him, are you not?" He asked. You nodded again. You never admitted it to anyone, but you were. You were scared and mad.

"Then you can stay here as much as you like. I'll go visit Val tomorrow and see how he is. I don't want you near him after what happened." He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Sounds like a plan." You said, stretching to give him a small hug. He flinched slightly, but didn't try to move away. You both sat in comfortable silence.

Suddenly, there was a ding noise followed by ringing. The noise startled you both.

"Shit! I almost forgot about dinner!" Vox yelled and got up in a rush, bolting out the door to the kitchen. You chuckled to yourself and got out of bed and made your way to the kitchen.

When you reached the kitchen, it smelled amazing. You decided to sit at the island, seeing a small basket of warm bread and two plates out. Finding it cute, you chuckled a bit. Who knew an Overlord had this much hospitality. 

"What are you giggling at (Y/n)?" Vox asked as he was finishing up whatever he was doing on the stove.

You shook your head. "Nothing. It just seems like your getting ready for a romantic date." 

He laughed, a bit louder than you were expecting. "Does it seem like that?" He plated two steaks and turned around, setting the platter in the middle. "Well, maybe that's the case." His voice got lower in tone and it made you blush brightly. You looked like a tomato and you turned around, face in your hands and internally screaming.

He laughed again, enjoying your embarrassed sight. "Oh dear, it was a joke I swear!" He apologized, but was still chuckling a bit.

You turned back, still blushing but not as bad. You couldn't look him in the eye. He gestured to the food and told you to dig in. So you did.

The steak was amazing, the best you've ever had, dead or alive. It just melted in your mouth and the spices tasted heavenly together. And the bread smelled and tasted fresh too. You wondered where he got it.

"How are you so good at cooking? I never had a steak like this before in my life." You asked.

He hummed a bit, it sounded like quiet white noise from an old TV. "A lot of free time and practice. I've been here longer than I've been alive at this point." 

"Really? People don't die here from living too long?" You asked.

He chuckled. "This is the afterlife dear. Of course we live in eternity." He said. "Unless we're killed by the Exterminators."

"Exterminators?" 

He nodded. "Yes. They come around every new year, and kill all and any denizen who happen to cross their path with no remorse. It goes deeper than that, but it's for a different day."

The new information made your brain stir with more questions that needed answers too, but you nodded and agreed that the topic should be held another day. Right now, you just wanted to enjoy the steak and bread.