Thirty-Five

After a drive over four hours, Genesis is glad when he can see the big white wind turbines and the Apogee Stadium from the highway

After a drive over four hours, Genesis is glad when he can see the big white wind turbines and the Apogee Stadium from the highway. That lets him know that they're closer to the University of North Texas. While taking in the view flashbacks flicker through his mind of his years in college. He remembers those days he'd be flying down this same highway from Dallas because he was trying to balance selling drugs and school. He remembers the crowd screaming as he played on that same field with the football team. It's bittersweet.

Gee's only broken out of his thoughts by Magenta and his brother, Seven, rapping a Youngboy Never Broke Again song as loud as they can. In the passenger seat, she dances as Seven does the same from the backseat. That's how they've been the entire ride. They've been going back and forth with songs swearing they have the best playlist and music taste of the two.

"I don't trust anyone's opinion born after the 2000's. What you know about this, youngblood?" Gen asks clicking on an old Boosie song. Not missing a beat Gee and Gen rap along word for word. It was one of their favorites on car rides from Denton to Choice's house back then.

This was the first time Gen and Seven have really been around each other since he moved to Texas. When Gee said he's making the road trip to their old college to help move him into his dorm, Magenta wasn't missing the chance to come. She hasn't been back to Denton since she graduated.

"Don't get mad 'cause you're old," Seven shoots an insult back making Gen gawk giving him the middle finger. He couldn't wait until he's passed her phone. "Yeah, yeah. This that shit," Seven plays a Moneybagg Yo song making her roll her eyes dramatically.

"I really don't see the hype. I can't get into his music," she pops a green Sour Patch Kid into her mouth.

"Ay, Sev, she doesn't like Lil Baby or Lil Durk," Gee looks in the rearview mirror knowing that's going to shock him.

"What?!" Seven stretches his neck back screwing up his face. "Nah, you trippin'. They're hard."

"They're alright. Their voices irritate me. Durk with the autotune and Baby just sounds like a goat."