4. WONDERFUL WIZARD OF AZURA

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

- ROBERT FROST

ISOLDE'S POV

"Pff, Excuse me?"

Yes, that was me, laughing. What else do you expect me to do? Accept whatever horse-crap some damn Mage was spouting?

Maybe he is one of those fake medicine sellers.

"Madam, you're reaction is not quite unexpected I must say. But I assure you I am telling no lies, the identification test is never wrong", Mr. Mage ( I didn't pay attention to his name) said earnestly.

"But how can it be, sire?" I asked again, refusing to believe something this surreal is happening to me of all people.

"Which God would bless me?"

Bless the me who was not even acknowledged by them.

"The Sun God, I'm assuming since your village seems to worship him. Did you not come in contact with his statue this morning? Isn't that how you were blessed?"

Soli's statue? I've never even seen his statue, let alone touch one.

And why would he bless me when he hasn't even legitimized me?

"Master Mage, I assure you, I have never seen a statue of Soli in my life. Our village temple does not share the honor of hosting a God's statue. Only the temple in the Count Dom capital hosts statues of Soli and we, mere village peasants, are not allowed in there", I tried my best to explain our situation to this foreign man.

"I'm sorry but what do you mean you have a temple but no statue of the God you worship. What kind of blasphemy is this? Court of Azura sends statues for even the smallest village in a Count Dom for free", he almost screamed to my face.

I looked at him confused. The court sends out statues for villages? For free? Don't the villagers have to pay a great price to get a statue from the count?

"But our count had said, we are to pay to get the statues. The price was so high that none of the poor villages could afford it"

"Well then, your count has some serious explaining to do when I report this to the Grandmaster", he said looking justly angry.

I knew the count was scum but to make people pay for statues he got for free was a new low. I really hope the Grandmaster would do something about him like this man said.

"Anyways, back to business. If you weren't blessed by the Sun God, then which God granted you this power? Is there another God's temple around here?"said Mr. Mage looking interested.

" I....am not sure myself."

What was I supposed to say? That I did not even know the name of the God who blessed me? I still couldn't believe I was blessed!! Didn't only wealthy noble kids get blessed? Why me?

I was snapped out of my thoughts by his voice again, "I feel like you need some time to collect yourself. I shall come again tomorrow to continue our conversation. It would also be good for you to decide if you would like to pursue Education on Magical arts and practices in the Academy to become a Mage."

Go where? Do what?

"If your answer is yes tomorrow, then I will have to apply on behalf of you for a seat in the Academy. The Academic year starts in 2 weeks, by the way. We really didn't think we would get you this year!"

In two weeks? That's just 14 days!

And my answer? Of course, it will be a big fat "No". I didn't want to leave this village full of mama's memories. I wasn't brave enough for that.

"Before I leave for today, I would like to give you a piece of advice", he lowered his voice,

"You have two roads in front of you diverged in the woods of uncertainty. Decide wisely, so that in the years to come by, you don't look back to regret the road not taken cause that would've made all the difference" and with that, he left.

Please vote and leave comments

Please vote and leave comments. It will mean a lot to me, honestly😄