15. ISOLDE AND THE SPHINX

A beautiful and silent Sphinx has watched me

through the shifting gloom

ISOLDE'S POV

"Nothing is interesting in any of these books. Let's go to the Sphinx's layer. I reckon she has something on the more interesting races," Akira's loud demand for the tenth time made a few students look towards us.

This brat has no understanding of the concept of patient.

Or libraries.

The librarian made a shushing motion with her finger held up to her lips.

"Can you please try to keep your voice down? This is a library, for Sol's sake,"  the first words I utter to him since the revelation, they came out with more spite than necessary.

In answer to that, he gives me an obnoxious toothy grin.

Great, be ruder to him, Izzy. It's not like his father rules this place or anything.

So to make up for my earlier harsh remarks, I put on a fake smile on my face. 

His face looses its earlier smile at that for some reason.

"I was just saying we should go the advanced section and get some books on a more fascinating races, maybe the demons. Think about it, we'll get better marks," and with that he had me sold.

I really wanted to do well in my first-ever assignment.

"Fine, let's go," I feel like I agreed way too easily. But I wasn't above giving in to the temptation of educational validation.

We get up and give the books we already took to a knowledge-seeking spirit  roaming in the form of an orange fox.

We walk towards the Sphinx's layer at the far end of the library; passing lady Bliss, a smiling sentient female statue with blindfolds.

Goosebumps rise on my hands as we got closer to the slumbering Sphinx. I have never been to this section of the library.

At our footsteps, the sleeping creature woke and immediately began his riddles in a solemn voice,

"The instant my name is spoken
I am broken;
What am I?"

This was one of the reasons I was scared to venture into this area. Her riddles must be answered or we shall not pass.

"Silence," the answer comes from beside me. I snap my head towards Akira.

Silence! That was it; that was the answer.