14. STOMPS AND SURPRISES

"Mirror Mirror on the wall"

Ouch! I flinched at a particularly strong stomp on my foot

This brat!

I lifted my right foot and hit my desk-mate with my strongest kick.

I was trying to ignore him at first because he was a noble but no, he had to be annoying and start a game of violent footsie. 

This childish game has been going on this whole time, making it difficult for me to focus on Inayat's words. It's almost the end of this lesson and I'm winning by two points since he missed once. 

"Ouch," I yelped at a rather strong kick on my shin. That's it, I had enough.

"What is wrong with you? I ask you to  stop it or else-", I hissed.

It was an empty threat, of course. What can I do against a noble?

"Or else what? You will go whine to the teacher? You do love to do that, don't you? Can't expect much from a commoner child," he said in a mocking voice accompanied by a fake crying face.

"I do not whine," I said feeling a bit offended; I prided myself for being strong since my mother died. How dare he say I whine?

" Oh really? I do seem to recall someone whining to Dayuu that night', he whispered, again with the fake thoughtful face.

"Well, I do seem to recall someone breaking into my dorm room like a thief. What did you expect? A smiling invitation? A selection of some fine wine, maybe?" I hissed, copying his mock polite voice.

"I do seem to recall almost breaking my nose when you made me trip. And No, I do not need your invitation to come inside. Even if my looks are as perfect as that of an undead, I am not a vampire."

Oh Sol, another Inayat.

"Oh really? I recall you breaking my friend's bracelet which was a gift from her deceased grandmother. And are you sure about the vampire part? Climbing into girls' room at night does sound  a lot like those ghoulish blood-drinkers," I glared at him hard remembering how much Dhara had cried.

"That was entirely an unfortunate accident because some chit of a girl kept blocking my escape route. But your actions, my dear, were definitely on purpose," he glared back at me as if all of it was somehow my fault.

"Of course, it was on purpose," I proudly admitted. "Too bad the fall failed to damage your face. Same can't be said for your wits however."

"That's fair, you can't say much on something you don't have," he said with a smile.

This insufferable brat!