43. PINOCCHIO

SILENCE IS ALL WE DREAD

Silence is all we dread

There’s Ransom in a Voice—
But Silence is Infinity.

Himself have not a face.

                  - EMILY DICKINSON

Akira's POV

If you ask any of Sol's blessed Children what they think about night-time, most of them will not say anything nice.

It could be because we are significantly weaker in the absence of the Sun. It dulls our senses.

So you can sympathize with me when I constantly complain about the feeling of being watched even though there is no one but us and two Farishta walking in these streets, right?

Even after the Rune Guards' assurance that we are not being watched, I still cannot ignore this feeling that sends a wave a chill down my throat.

Maybe it's because of how lifeless these streets have become that was bustling with people just an hour ago or because of the drawn curtains on windows and scared children peeking from underneath them.

A deafening silence has descended upon the marketplace that was the source of all my complaints this morning. No more shouting between angry customers and lazy shopkeepers, no more frantic mothers running behind naughty children, no more neighbors waving at each other. No more nothing.

Just stillness, cold dead silence. As if Harpocrates himself has caressed these lands with his stony hands that hold one too many secrets.

This silence has been following us, tracing its eyes behind my back. A reminder that Azura was currently Grandmaster-less, that its protection stood on shaky pillars from today onwards.

The commoners of Azura were afraid and rightfully so. Someone has entered the city in broad daylight.

The outer gates were strong but unlike the blessed gates of the ten noble estates, enemies can cross them.

But how did they manage to do it?

The possibility of a traitor is becoming more and more obvious.

Just then, another shiver wracked through my body. The goosebumps on my hand were a clear indicator of something. I am just not sure what.

I have a bad feeling in my guts. And mom says never to ignore your guts.

"Do you guys truly not feel watched?" I ask again in an attempt to convince them of my claim.

They all halted in their pace and showed me the same set of expressions as before. Naeem still looked distracted, Esmeralda was annoyed and the midget just looked tired.