26. GODFATHER DECAY

QUOTH THE RAVEN, " NEVERMORE "                              

Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore—

Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”

            Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”

- EDGAR ALLAN POE

Isolde's POV

Stupid Esme. Why would she say something like that?

Now the implications of Akira actually liking me are dancing around my brain like an uninvited wedding guest.

Well, I couldn't deny the fact that Akira does stare at me a lot.

Maybe he is just fascinated with the fact that someone can be poor...

Damn it! I couldn't even focus on the instructions Inayat was giving us for our first-ever emission of magic.

"Trust me, it's really simple if you just have the right amount of focus. And it's okay if you can't grasp it on your first try, I took a whole week before I could emit a decent amount of blessed magic which says a lot about how hard it can be for some people," His voice sounded reminiscent as he came to instruct us individually.

He walked towards me first. "Isolde, focus on the feeling you got the moment you were blessed," he said lifting my hands in front of me and positioning them like prayer towards the sky. Passing me he went onto Dhara. "The very moment you felt something shift; when you came to a realization, what was it, Dhara?"

"What did the king say to you, Arthur? Was his crown heavy?" he added while walking towards Akira, "How bright was his light? How much did his flames burn, little light?"

Little light?

One by one, he went around the field where students stood at safe distances. All of us had our hands raised, ready to channel our blessings, to convert this boon into power.

"Don't be afraid of an outburst, children. You see the pillars behind you-" he said and we all looked behind to the pillars, "-are spelled to absorb any kind of high amount of energy emission. So let go!"

"Ok, let's begin, shall we?" and we began.

I looked around to see students, noble and commoner alike concentrating hard on channeling their blessing into an emission.

My treacherous eyes, however, found their way to Akira in a moment and I instantly recalled Esme's comment.

I don't know why I am so vexed by it. There is no way that was it was true. He ignored me like plague these days after we finished the assignment. He even changed seats.