9. THE WIND AND THE LADY

WHO HAS SEEN THE WIND ?

Who has seen the wind?

Neither you nor I:

But when the trees bow down their heads,

The wind is passing by.

- CHRISTINA ROSSETTI

ISOLDE'S POV

The head of the girls' dorm was probably the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.

She did not look like my people. Her skin was white but instead of my pale white, hers' was livelier with a refreshing yellow hue. There was some kind of marking in between her eyebrows. Her almond-shaped eyes turned into crescent moons whenever she laughed. At the moment her smiley face was directed at me.

"Hello, Dear. My name is Yang Dayuu. I am the head of the girls' dorm. I am here to help you settle in. Now, I already know your name but it would be great f you tell me some more about yourself."

I hesitated for a moment, then cleared my throat to introduce myself.

"Isolde Morozova, madam. I am from the small village of Selos in the country of Prussia under the Rule of the 16th Tsar. I turned 16 two days ago and was blessed by a deity I do not recognize", with that I was quiet again.

She laughed again at my introduction, "Well that was certainly a lot of information, dear. You even told me about the ruler". I flushed at her comments.

Stupid Isolde! Why would you tell her that?

"But not even recognizing the deity? Now that's new."

Was there truly no other like me? I suddenly felt even more alone.

Probably seeing me deflate, Madam gave me another of her wide smiles, "Well, no worries, little one. I'll get the Gibril on it and they will find the Godly hidden one in no time. You do not worry about a thing, love. Just prepare for your first day at the academy and make new friends."

Her words were probably meant to reassure me but the thought of making friends worried me even more.

"Now then, I'll leave her to you, Darling. I'll really need some rest if I'm to go back to the barracks tomorrow morning. See you later, Isolde. Best of luck."

Granted I haven't known Inayat for a long time but his presence was assuring to me. So the thought of him leaving did not sit well with me. But what could I have done to stop him? I couldn't demand him to stay, he wasn't mama.

So instead I said, "Goodbye, Captain" in a fake cheerful tone and turned to the Madam.

"Well then, let's get going Isolde. And Captain Baig? If you call me darling one more time, I will punch you in that face which will be bad for you since it's your only saving grace," with that she marched forward with me running behind her.