29. DAMON AND PYTHIAS

Pride and Prejudice

Akira's POV

"Hey there, Knight in newly bought Yukata, look! Your damsel in distress is here. That too with the wanna-be generic second wife of the rich and dying," Naeem, very graciously pointed out to the other side of the crowded hallway where Isolde and her friends were sitting with Esmeralda.

Damsel in distress? She is more like a damsel who gives stress.

 "Thanks, Naeem. But she's not a damsel in distress, she stomped him twenty-four times, remember?" Kishar also showed grace in recalling the particular embarrassing information they had interrogated out of me.

Funny how she can't remember the names of simple cold medicines but she remembers the exact number for this.

"Oh yes, he was limping. It was hilarious." They all snickered at Amad's words.

Thanks, brother. Everyone deserves a cousin like you.

"So did you apologize to her as I told you to?" Kishar asked, looking at me with hopeful eyes.

"Why should he apologies to her?" Louis asked in surprise.

"Because we have falsely accused her, obviously. Is all that hanging upside-down getting to your wits?" Amad says in his usual nonchalant tone.

"Anyways, so Akira?" Kishar continued with her investigation.

"Um, well not yet. I hadn't really got to talk to her lately," I tried to come up with a good excuse but I guessed it failed from the looks of her frowning face.

"Is it because you've been avoiding her lately?" Cephas spoke up from my side and everyone looked at him in shock.

He was here? Since when? 

"You've been avoiding her? why?" Eboni asked with a confused frown.

"I'm not avoiding her. Stop lying, Cephas" I said, trying not to make the lie in my words noticeable.

"I am not lying," he looked offended at the accusation. "Yesterday, you even made us take the long way towards class because you saw her on the way."

"We know you're not lying, Cephas. And we know you too, Akira. You'd rather die than apologies to someone," Eboni said, stilling her sharp gaze at me.

"But I don't want to apologize. What if she refuses to forgive me?" I sounded like a whiny child.

Great, now everyone was looking at me with the grow-up-how-old-are-you look.

"You will apologize to her, Akira. I will too. It was partly my fault too," Eboni said looking down at her untouched breakfast.

"It's not your fault, Ebi. You were in too much distress to think properly. If anyone should apologize, it should be Naeem," Gunhild said, glaring at Naeem who was trying to feed a piece of bread to his snake.

"What? Why me? I just saw her holding the rope and thought that. Anyone in my position would come to the same conclusion that she was the proprietor," he loudly proclaimed.

"But the problem is that she wasn't the culprit. So we did indeed falsely accuse her. And for that at least, we shall apologize," Kishar was strong in her stance, leaving no room for arguments.

"But she's a commoner!" Louis emphasized on the commoner part.

"And we are noble. We have honor," Gunhild said with a hardened face.