17. THE STAR VERDICT

Please make sure to read this on Wattpad. If it's on any other platform, it was stolen without my permission.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     

 The stars are mansions built by Nature's hand

ISOLDE'S POV

"Dayuu, you must believe me! I haven't done anything they accuse me of." 

Please believe me. Do not forsake me like the villagers. Do not ignore me like the Gods.

I was close to tears, holding back from weeping by sheer willpower at this point. Everyone was pointing their fingers at me and talking in low voices as we quickly made our way towards the Assistant headmaster's office in the central castle. All the noble children were glaring at me. 

Why was it that I was always getting accused of things I have never done?

I wasn't proven guilty yet the people around me already gave out their verdict. I was the jealous peasant girl who had humiliated the beautiful noble princess. I was the villain even though no proof of my crime came forward.

Why is it that people loved painting the nobles as victims in stories and not the peasants who actually suffer?

I didn't like the feeling of being watched, of being made fun of. It reminded me too much of the hushed whispers of the village gossip, their fingers pointed at mama for birthing an illegitimate child of an unknown father.

I tried to ignore but the more I tried, the louder their voices grew. Their voices started to echo inside my head and I felt suffocated. I looked around to see the world spinning and the onlookers' faces morphing themselves into village elders. Their accusing glare; questions about mama's purity rang in my mind like the morning bell. I staggered behind Dayuu and sat down in the sheltering darkness of a pillar with hands on my ears, eyes shut tightly.

Go away, Go away, Go away, Go away, please leave me alone

I chanted the words I had said so many times before, to the elders, to the village kids, to the nosy gossips mongers and so many more.

My chanting was interrupted by someone shaking me by my shoulders. I looked up to see Dayuu saying something at me with concern laced to her beautiful face.

It took me a moment to realize I couldn't hear her because of my hands blocking my ears. I removed them and heard her clearly, "Isolde, sweetie, are you okay?

How long has it been since someone had looked at me with her so much concern? 

Long, very long. At least, not since Mama had left me.