41.THE PIED-PIPER OF AZURA

THE SNAKE CHARMER

Whither dost thou hide from the magic of my flute-call? In what moonlight-tangled meshes of perfume, Where the clustering keovas guard the squirrel's slumber, Where the deep woods glimmer with the jasmine's bloom?

- SAROJINI NAIDO

Akira's POV

"Do you even know your way around the main city?" the midget asks breaking the silence. We have been walking aimlessly around the city after getting off the carriage. 

Of course I know my way around this damn market that smells strongly of rotten fish, I come here all the time for walks! See that cheery little lady throwing her trash in her downstairs neighbor's balcony? Yes, I take Jasmine tea at her house all the time.

Isolde suggested the experience will be more authentic if we walk on foot in this overcrowded marketplace with equal amount of people and cattle.  

I didn't realize there were so many bloody cows in Azura!! And they were just roaming freely on the streets!! 

So far this little adventure of ours has gone disastrously. People here have about as much manner as Lilura's prince, they just push aside anyone on their way by bumping hard on the shoulders.

 Oh and everyone is obnoxiously loud and spit flies onto my face every time I try to have a word with them. 

One even burped on my face!!!

 For some reason, the pot-bellied shop keepers keep scratching under their clothes publicly!

Over all, these people had enough manners to give my mother a heart-attack.

If the people were bad then the place is worse. Every single corner somehow strongly smells of the horse crap that was dumped on Eboni. 

There are feral cats just sleeping on the footpaths as if they own it.

 Children are running around with no supervision and they were half or non- clothed for some reason.

Is it a commoner tradition to not bother with children's clothing? Do they stay naked or half-naked all the time? Or is it to a specific age? Do they have a coming of age ceremony where they finally allow children to wear decent clothes?

Everything was too loud, too crowded or too smelly. My senses were getting overwhelmed. 

Honestly, this whole journey has been triggering my flight or fight response for a while now. 

I swear, another person bumps to me or calls me "Pretty boy in mama's robs", I am stabbing them with my father's sword which I had borrowed without permission.