6. JOURNEY TO THE ACADEMY

MILES TO GO BEFORE I SLEEP

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

                  - ROBERT FROST

ISOLDE'S POV

I probably looked like a drenched raccoon when I opened the door seeing as I was plagued by horrible nightmares the whole night.

They always seemed to begin with my mother being back only for her to look sickly pale and awfully cold for some reason. 

It's as if even when she comes back to life, she's still dead.

So, I gave up on sleeping and waited by the door since sunrise for the Mage which resulted in me opening the door before he could knock.

"Well, don't you look lively this fine morning! Reminds me of my friend's pet Raccoon," were the morning greetings I got.

"It's name is Kaizer," he added after a pause.

"Who?"

"The racoon," he clarified with a smile.

"Good morning to you too. The court must be a place of high etiquette judging by the lovely greeting I just received. One can only hope to learn such fine manners," I replied with the fakest smile I could muster.

"You do your mastery in manners little praise, madam. We had a lengthy conversation yesterday in the doorway with no invitation to come inside. I must say this is definitely the most interesting hospitality I had the pleasure of enjoying. Oh, the joys of experiencing such fine hospitality first hand."

That's a really round about way of saying people suck up to you.

"You can come in only after I see solid evidence of your identity."

When you're a young girl living alone, you always have to take some precautions.

"Fair enough. Here," with that, he took out a piece of hard paper and held it with his gloved hands in front of my face.

He gave the paper a firm shake and like sirens emerging from the depths of an ocean, writing floated across it's body.

I could clearly see the identification card with the glowing golden seal of the Court on it. It read his name, age and position in the court, and the Holy army.