7. SUN, MOON AND ISOLDE

FIRE AND ICE

Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I’ve tasted of desire

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

            - ROBERT FROST

ISOLDE'S POV

Despite promising myself not to sleep and almost succeeding, I did fall asleep just before sunrise, a very deep one too.

This is probably why Mr. Pretty Face decided to wake me up by shaking me like we're in the middle of an Obiama invasion.

"Dear Gods and spirits, you sleep like a bloody coma patient."

"Good morning to you too, sire. Is this how people are awakened in Azura? The place sounds like a dream more and more."

Instead of the expected snarky comment, I got a chuckle in reply. I finally looked at him and noticed the barely hidden excitement in them.

"We're here", he said, voice slightly high-pitched from excitement.

At his words, I looked outside and saw nothing but vast mountains. But just when I was about to ask him if he was joking, something came into my field of vision.

It was two large waterfalls falling into a lake but instead of a mountain, the water was coming down from the giant pitchers held by two humongous statues of a man and a woman.

Immediately I recognized the male statue, Sol, the God who had forsaken my village.

The closer we got, the clearer the statues became. Sol with his magnificent Golden crown placed on the blood-red hair and equally red robes looked every bit the most powerful God he was.

Opposite him, the gentle figure of a woman with raven hair clad in midnight blue robes gave the illusion of mercy and compassion.

Not to be fooled, Gods did not know human emotions such as mercy or love.

"What is she called? Who does she reign over?" I asked, there is only a certain amount of curiosity a girl could hold on to.

"We call her by as many names as her forms. Qamar, Chandni, Chandrima, Selene, Tsukuyomi ,and many more. But here in Azura, she's famously known as Selena, the other half of Sol. The night to his day, darkness to his light, ice to his fire. The half of everything and everyone."