18. RICH HEART OF STONE

THE BIRD THAT IS HAPPINESS

ISOLDE'S POV

Sometimes I feel like I am incapable of tolerating my own heart. 

I hated that wretched thing. I hate it for causing the dull ache in my chest at the thought of mama. I loath it for beating faster at the mention of my father. 

I hated it for opening itself up, even for a moment to a noble. I hated myself for thinking that just because I was blessed like them, it meant somehow I will not be humiliated by them. 

I shouldn't have let the warmth of the academy delude me into a false sense of safety among these people. 

Do not get me wrong, I hadn't expected him to help me but all those bantering afternoons in the library must've at least given him a good judge of my character.

Nobles, all the same. Quick to accuse and condemn anyone they deem beneath them.

I hated him. He made me expect and I know that expectation is a carriage often driven by heartache. I can't afford to accompany that rider just yet. 

Esme's arrival broke my stare off with Akira. He looked away almost immediately.

"Ah, Miss Garcia, I assume. People here have controversial opinions on your role in the recent incidents including Miss Abdallah over here and a bucket of horse crap", the Assistant headmaster said with a cheeky smile. 

Everyone rolled their eyes at him. This man was truly enjoying himself at our expense.

"Greetings, Sir ", Esme bowed her head slightly.

"Showing respect to him is not gonna earn you any points", Naeem injected his unwanted opinions yet again.

"Mister Abbas, please," Dayuu hissed a warning at him yet again and he cowered behind Akira.

"So Miss Garcia, these people over here," he pointed to the noble trio," Are in the opinion that you were involved, if not the mastermind behind the horse crap incident. So what do you have to say in your defense?" he asked, looking more amused than he should.

"I swear I didn't do anything. I had nothing to do with this incident. Please believe me," Esme vehemently denied the accusation. 

"Well, then what do you say to the eyewitnesses who saw you with Miss Morozova, the person on the rope?" he asked again.

"Who saw us together? We don't even mingle," she looked confused now.

"This afternoon by Mister Abbas and his friends", he said while pointing at Naeem.