28. PRINCESS AND THE RED DRAGON

Isolde's POV

Sol, I was going to die.

I was going to die young. 

To make things worse it will by the hands of the boy who, according to Esme, fancies me.

I am pretty sure it was a mistake on her part because if her claims were true then he wouldn't be moving towards me with a bloody fire sword raised high like he was just blessed by Mixcoatl .

He was coming closer. And closer.

That's it. I'm leaving, sweet mortal life; I am coming, mama.

Sorry I managed to get myself offed one year into your departure, mama.

So it was finally coming to an, huh? Maybe they figured out about my illegitimacy...

Pathetically, I moved the only organ I still had control over, my eyes. 

Hey, If I don't get to chose how I die, at least I could do was decide not to watch as it happens. 

So I close them tightly. And...... the blow didn't come?

Huh?

I slowly peek through half-open eyes to see Akira standing in front of me with his sword held down.

I look down to see the zombie vines that were clutching my legs set on fire on the grass nearby.

Oh so, he was aiming for those!

Of course, he was, stupid Izzy. Why would he try to kill you? Think, idiot, think.

Inner me sure had a valid point. 

"Why are you standing so close?" He pulled me towards him by my hands, away from the fire and I landed on his chest.

"Do you wanna get grilled like a chicken?" He glared at me from above.

"With how pale she is, I think it will be more like a toasted marshmallow," someone says from behind us.

Both of us look towards the voice to see a crowd has formed around us. 

"Naeem, before you open your stupid mouth, keep in mind that I am holding a fiery sword," Akira's voice came out full of annoyance.

"I didn't come to the academy to be humiliated!" Naeem shouted back at Akira.

"Where do you usually go then?" Louis asked from behind.

An offended-looking Naeem started to say something. "I was just-" but he was cut off by the girl with a metal arm, Gunhild, I think her name was. 

"Shut up, Naeem. And Akira, are those vines a product of necromancy?" 

The crowd dipped into an uncomfortable silence. 

Akira pushed me harshly towards a stunned Dhara and went to stand with his friends.

A wave of unannounced chill went through my body.

Necromancy? That was Necromancy? 

What was the art of dread magic doing here in the holy land of Azura? 

"Attention, everyone." Inayat drew our attention towards him with a clap sounding unnaturally serious for once. "Looks like we'll have to resume this lesson some other day. Everyone, please go back to your dorm rooms. All other lessons will be canceled. A guide from the teaching staff will accompany you to your dorm."