24. ISOLDE IN WONDERLAND

I'm a genius

Akira's POV

"Nothing is interesting in any of these books. Let's go to the Sphinx's layer. I bet she has something on more interesting races," I said as loudly as I can for the tenth time partially to annoy the Lilliput in front of me and partially to get her to say something .

She has been awfully quiet after the revelation.

I shouldn't have told her that, I really really regret it now.

I really wish time and space magic wasn't forbidden, then I could've gone back in time and stopped my stupid self from opening my big mouth.

Damn it, she wasn't even spitting fire at me like she did this morning. Or stomping at my feet.

Which was a good thing actually. Her stomps hurt!

"Can you please try to keep your voice down? This is a library."

Aha, she spoke! That too with a lot of spite! My annoy-her-to-death tactic was a success.

I'm a genius.

My internal enthusiasm dimmed a bit when I saw the instant regret on her face and the fake smile.

Great, another person who'll pretend to like me in fear of offending dad.

I felt alone. Again.

The feeling intensified when she agreed a bit too easily to accompany me to the Sphinx's layer.

Another day, another person bending backward to please the grandmaster's son.

Just the life I wanted.
________________________________________

"The instant my name is spoken

I am broken;

What am I?" The Sphinx's deep voice questioned me.

Really? That was the best the Mighty Holder Of Knowledge can do?

This is too easy!

"Silence," I answered confidently with a smug smile.

I don't think the All-Knowing one liked my cocky look.

"Correct answer, Young Sun-forged. Now a riddle for your companion," She taunted me with a dismissive look.

Young Sunforged. Like father but lesser.

No, Akira, don't think like that.

"Please ask away, ancient one," Little spitfire said with a very pathetic attempt at looking confident.

Let me tell you, she wasn't very convincing.

"Foolish men have wasted me,

Average men have spent me,

Wise men have invested me,

Yet all men succumb to me;

What am I?"

Time, I knew the answer as soon as I heard it.

The midget, however, looked panicked.

Gods, she was slow.

I wonder what exactly they teach in commoner acaddmies.

"The answer is time. Man; rich, poor, foolish, wise; all are a slave to the wheels of time, always in motion it is," she said after a few moments of silence.