36. RUMPELSTILSKIN

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Isolde's POV

I wipe off Dhara's snot from my shoulders after a teary goodbye.

The letter authorizing my stay at the Ryuuzaki Estate was clutched tightly in my hand along with my school identification papers.

With dead leaves crunching underneath my feet, I make my way towards the waiting carriages.

The dull ache in my heart reminds me to burn this beautiful academy premise in my mind because the pessimistic side of my nature keeps saying I will never be able to come back to the first home I had found after mama's demise.

The dead leaves carpet the courtyard floor as if to mark a disheartened farewell of its beloved residents. The ghost town of empty corridors and classrooms is like death left behind. The sudden footsteps here and there quickly get consumed by the hollow silence now reigning over the Academy and Azura.

What was once a warm home for God's blessed children is now an echo of empty promises.

My feet move faster towards my destination to get myself away from the maddening memories of late-night conversations with Dhara and Esme. The southern entrance becomes visible to my eyes once I cross the courtyard. Four carriages await with fox-masked coachmen. Luxurious Carriages in red and gold sporting the crest of the Ryuuzaki family, a fiery Phoenix, stand in front of the entrance.

"You're late. You kept everyone waiting," one girl shouts the moment I come to a halt in front of the carriages. Her harsh tone makes me shrink back.

Even though I was on time, I reasoned her rudeness with the excuse of fear that was clouding everyone's hearts these days. She must want to go home. 

After all, not everyone's home awaits leaking roofs and memories of dead mothers.

But the explanation doesn't excuse her behavior.

"Yeah, she is. So were you. All of you have made me wait," a voice replied on my behalf before I could rebuke her.

I look up to see Akira standing beside the first carriage with a look of irritation clear on his face. His blazing gaze aimed at the flustered girl now turns to me after having lost its previous fury. He points at me with his index finger and signals towards his carriage.

Was he asking me to get in the same carriage with him?

Why? Is he still mad from yesterday? Want to scream at me a bit more?

If he still is, then I am not getting on. I had enough of his mood swings. 

Does he think he can do whatever he wants because he was a noble?

I mean he can but still...

I raise my chin with all the attitude I can gather and walk towards the second carriage. I almost laugh at the frown that crosses his face.

But before I could open the door, one of the fox-masked coachmen blocks my path.

"What?" I inquire in utter confusion before he points a silent finger towards the first carriage. I look at Akira with a questioning gaze. I only get one of his stupid smirks in return.

At a leisurely pace, he walks towards me. "If you don't ride in my carriage, then you don't ride at all. And you can't get assigned to another family at this last moment either. So chose wisely, midget," he says crossing his arms.

I feel like there is no way out from this situation with my pride and need both intact. So I sigh in frustration and quietly get into his stupid carriage.