XL.

☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎

『3』

"Oh look at you, no mask, new gear, and the thick smell of betrayal," Arina sneered still smiling at Thea who held a dark stoic expression.

"Do you sleep well at night?" Arina asked tilting her head to the side amusingly as Thea's expression hardened. "Aw, no words?" Arina pulled out a baton.

"At least there's something that didn't change..." Then there Thea and Arina went fighting.

Arina swung her baton towards Thea's side but Thea quickly blocked it. "I'll leave a brand new mark this time..."

Thea threw a swift punch across her face making Arina stumble back. "You wanna get serious..." Thea said.

Arina just smiled at her. "You ungrateful little thing..." Right on cue the baton she held in hand extended and now gives off a voltage of electricity. "I blessed with gifts and this is how you repay me..."

Arina made the first move sending a few swings at Thea but of course, Thea evaded each attempt. But Arina had her where she wanted and struck her with the electrified baton bringing Thea on one knee grunting in pain with her head lowered.

"You like my new trinket? I pumped the voltage a bit so someone such as yourself could feel it..." Right when Arina raised both her arms, Thea went from painful grunts to humorless laughs.

"Y-You bitch..." Thea looked up at her with her eyes glowing with a menacing glare.

Though Arina is a woman of science she did have some experience in fighting but Thea is a highly trained assassin whose been trained day and night. So this fight ended with Arina being slammed onto the floor.

Arina coughed out. "Stupid girl."

She breathed heavily taking off her now broken glasses before looking at Thea. "It was smart of you to plug your ears,"

Thea ignore her and proceeded to stare at her.

Arina let out an airy laugh as a bullet wound of her own slowly became present on her. "They told me you would turn someday...and I did everything in my power...to stop it but it doesn't matter anymore now, does it?..."

Arina grabbed her forearm bringing her to a closer distance. Arina stared into Thea's eyes which were glaring back at her own.

"Think Thea do you think someone who's spent their life obsessing over their work would let go out in vain..." Arina gritted. Even with plugged ears, she could still hear her voice echoing with every word.

"All this so-called freedom you have but yet you'll still play by my rules. While you were playing good guy I've been working."

Thea grabbed hold of her arm now starting directly back at her. "What do you mean?..."

Arina just laughed like the madwoman she is. Raised in a ran-down orphanage taken as a predecessor for one of Hydra's best scientists. She knows not one thing about compassion but she sure loved a good show.

"What do I mean? I'm a damn good genius...Do you think you have everything figured out? You have yet to even know the best part...no one ever really knows..." She said coughing up blood afterward. Her breathing was beginning to become shallow and uneven.

"They scratch the surface; and when I die...I've lost and won..." Arina slowly went into her lab coat pulling out a crumpled piece of paper. They took it seeing nothing but codes and writing.

"Follow my words at your own risk...read the book, Thea..." Arina slowly reached over to the utility belt of a crouching Thea, she quickly retrieved a dagger and stabbed herself.

"Cause you were one *cough* of my perfect soldiers and the best of my creations..." Thea watched as Arina took her last breath as she faded away with her eyes open and of course a small smile. Thea sat there in front of the now-departed Arina Zola thinking over the Doctor's last words to her.

•••••

The mission was a bust. Especially for Wanda.

Thea walked the halls on her way to her room thinking about the event over and over again.

Though Arina's words did get to her simply by the fact she practically swore she'd always win even when she's lost.

She was walking the halls until the sound of the Tv came into earshot from Wanda's room where she happened to come across.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria—" Unbeknownst Thea was already standing in the room when Steve came muting the Tv.

"It's my fault, " Wanda said.

"It's not true," Steve assured.

"Turn the Tv back on, they're being very specific..."

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it," Steve said taking a seat next to Wanda.

"Rumlow said Bucky and all of a sudden I was a sixteen-year-old kid again in Brooklyn..."

"People died. It's on me."

Thea couldn't help but feel she was also one to blame if she had just finished things with Arina she could've been there to assist her colleagues.

"I could've done something as well," Thea said thinking back to her whole encounter with Arina.

"It's on all of us," Steve said.

"This job...we try to save as many people as we can, sometimes that doesn't mean everybody."

"But if we can't find a way to live with that next time maybe nobody gets saved." They all sat in silence until Vision came in through the walls.

"Vis, we talked about this..."

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that—Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving." Vision said.

"Thank you be right down."

"I'll use the door..." Vision assured more specifically to Wanda making his way to the door but paused.

"Oh, and he's brought a guest."

"Do we know who it is?" Thea asked.

"The Secretary of State..."

1014 words