XLII.

☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎

"And now I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words

"And now I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words..." Sharon who Steve had no idea was related to Peggy until now steps up to the podium sharing a few words about her dear aunt. Sam who accompanied Steve nudged him once he saw the said blonde.

Somewhere in the crowd were Natasha and Thea who also came to pay their condolences and respect. Thea was dragged along mostly for the accords but had to come to the funeral service anyway. She fought to not dress up but showing up in sweats wasn't appropriate funeral attire as quoted by Natasha.

 She fought to not dress up but showing up in sweats wasn't appropriate funeral attire as quoted by Natasha

(THEA's Outfit)

It was already off to a bad start with Thea asking "Who died?" when entering the church. Luckily for them, Natasha was the only one who heard.

After the service ended they stayed behind walking towards their dear spangled friend.

"When I came out of the ice I thought everyone I had known was gone and then I found out she was alive...I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back too," Nat reassured.

"Who else signed?" Steve asked.

"Stark, Rhodes, Vision..." Thea said leaning on the benches with her arms crossed.

"Clint?" Steve asked.

"Says he's retired," Natasha answered.

"How about Wanda?"

"TBD."

"We're off to Vienna for the signing of the accords, there's plenty of room on the jet, " Romanoff continued.

"Just because it's a path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path, staying together is more important than how we stay together."

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve questioned as the three were silent before Steve spoke again. "I'm sorry Nat, I can't sign it."

"I know..."

"Well, then what are you doing here?"

"Now we can't be there for your time of grieving..." Steve just rolled his eyes at Thea's response before looking back at Nat.

"I didn't want you to be alone..." Natasha then brought him into a hug which a certain Thea took note of as a way to comfort someone.

•••••

VIENNA, AUSTRIA

"Why am I here again?" Thea was now sharing her number of complaints with Natasha—who was ten milliseconds away from her breaking point.

"Well, Thea it was either here or staying at home waiting to be arrested."

"I'm starting to consider prison now that I'm here..."

"It's not that bad," Natasha told her as they stood observing the place.

"I'm surrounded by people; how am I prepared for this?" Thea gestured to the room filled with numerous political figures, national leaders, and the press.

"It's as simple as 'Hello, I am Thea', I'll be there to steer you through it." Thea just sighed and went with.

It was going well until one of the assets came up to Natasha and then Thea with an opened binder. "Miss uh..."

"Thea."

"Yes, Miss Thea we need your signature right here." After a few minutes of awkward and uncomfortable smiling, Natasha tried her hardest not to laugh. Thea was now put to the test when a certain royalty came.

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight," He said standing before the two.

"Well, it's not always so flattering..." Natasha said.

"You seem to be doing alright so far, considering your last trip to capitol hill, I wouldn't think you'd be particularly comfortable in this company."

"I'm not," Natasha said.

"That alone makes me glad you are here Ms. Romanoff,"

Thea who stood looking between the two thankful to have somewhat of a break from talking—"Oh how rude of me, your Highness here is my colleague Thea."

'Damn you, Romanoff' Thea thought as Natasha introduced the man.

"Thea this is Prince T'challa,"

"Hello I am Thea and I was forced to be here," Thea said with the best smile she could conjure up. Natasha nudged the smiling Thea in the side meanwhile T'challa gave a small laugh.

"I've heard a lot about you; though you do have a past, your contribution to this is appreciated. It shows that you are very far from what you were before." Thea nodded genuinely appreciating his words.

"Well, jail would've been no problem to escape." At this point, Natasha is convinced that Thea doesn't seem to be hearing herself.

"So do you approve of all this?" Natasha asked changing the subject.

"The accords yes, the politics not really, two people in a room can get more done than a hundred..."

"Unless you need to move a piano, " T'challa greeted his father King T'chaka who greeted his son as well before turning his attention to the two Avengers.

"Miss Romanoff, Miss Thea."

"King T'chaka please allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria." The mention of it brought Thea back to her encounter with Arina.

We already knew from when Arina spoke of creations that meant that there were or are either other soldiers or more of her. But the numbers on the paper still didn't make sense to her yet.

'121691' Maybe it was code for something or maybe Arina just wanted to mess with her and send her on some wild goose chase.

"Everyone should please be seated the assembly is now in session." Now coming back to her senses Thea focuses back on her surroundings.

"That is the future calling," Natasha said.

"It has been a pleasure." She and Romanoff nodded their heads before taking their places in the assembly.

"Welp you didn't exactly do great but not bad either. You were a lot more talkative than usual, should I be worried?" Natasha said as they walked towards the back.

"Well, what could you expect when you make me socialize with people."

950 words