XLIII.

☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎

"When stolen Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy

"When stolen Wakandan vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy..." At the moment, King T'chaka was giving a momentous speech.

"Those men and women killed in Nigeria were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows, we will not however let misfortune drive us back...We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative..."
It was all going well but Thea couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. She kept looking around and found nothing yet the feeling remained. Natasha had noticed her change in mood but decided not to address it.

"Wakanda is proud to extend his hand in peace—" "EVERYBODY GET DOWN!!" Everyone in the room including Natasha and Thea took cover as T'challa went running to his father but sadly didn't make it in time for the explosion.

•••••

Currently, frantic paramedics rolling gurneys of the injured or sadly the deceased from the explosion. Sources and media have stated that James Buchanan Barnes is the one responsible for the catastrophe.

Natasha went to speak with Prince T'challa as he had just recently witnessed his father die. Meanwhile, Thea sat from afar taking in everything that's just happened but also listening to Natasha and T'challa's conversation.

"I'm very sorry..." Natasha said leaving a small moment of silence before he spoke.

"In my culture death is not the end...it's more of a stepping-off point...you reach out with both hands and Bast in segment they lead you into the green belt where you can run forever..."

"That sounds very peaceful," Romanoff said.

"My father thought so..." The prince focused on the ring on his finger. "I am not my father..."

"T'challa, the task force will decide who gets to bring in Barnes..."

"Don't bother Miss Romanoff, " He stood from his seat.

"I will kill him myself." Just like that, he walked away and Natasha later took a phone call. Thea thought over and over again about the situation with thoughts coming in and out.

'Barnes? As in winter soldier...' The dots were not connecting for sure. If Barnes was near she would've known after all she's spent so much time around him.

"Shit," Natasha mumbled cutting off her phone.

"He's planning on getting himself in trouble with this..." They knew exactly who Romanoff was referring to."Rogers may be right..."

"Thea..." The two began to walk.

"He and Wilson have been on a scavenger hunt for two years looking for Barnes and now all of a sudden he shows up blowing up buildings?"

"He was caught on tape," Natasha stated.

"And that's so reliable..." Thea said and Natasha paused before facing her fellow Avenger.

"Look I know this sounds crazy but this is not up for us to discuss, not anymore at that," Natasha said headed to the car driver's seat.

"I'm starting to think Jail wouldn't have been so bad of a choice," Thea mumbled heading into the passenger seat.

"Yeah having to hunt you down would've been fun," Natasha said starting the engine.

"By the time we get to the base, Rogers would have already done something with Wilson right next to him. I can feel it." Thea shrugged as the car drove off.

•••••

『THEA』

He did exactly what we knew he was gonna do with Wilson just as I predicted.

Now both of them and surprisingly, T'challa is walking down the hall escorted by guards, a short man in a suit named Everett Ross, and Agent Carter (Jr.).

"I told you so. He did exactly what I said he'd do—"

"Shut up Thea." I trailed behind her as we walk alongside the group. "For the record, this is what making things worse look like..." Romanoff said to Rogers which he replied: "He's alive."

"And in a glass box." As we walk into the room where Stark is of course on the phone with someone from the government.

"Try not to break anything while we fix this," She told them then turned to me.

"Babysit them." Babysitting was usually their job for me but now it's the other way around. Talk about Deja vu.

"Consequences you bet they'll be consequences..." Tony said before getting off the phone.

"Consequences?" Rogers questioned.

"Secretary Ross wants you both prosecuted," I answered.

"...Had to give him something, " Stark shrugged.

"I'm not getting that shield back am I?" Steve asked.

"Technically it's the government's property..." Romanoff said.

"Wings too," I added.

"That's cold," Sam says shaking his head.

"Warmer than jail!!" Stark called out while walking away.

I wasn't exactly in the mood to listen to Stark and Rogers bicker so decided to take a walk abandoning my 'babysitting' duties. I walked the hall pulling out the article of paper and eyeing it for another moment.

''121691,' It was pretty sloppily on purpose and I guess for those around not to get any ideas.

She did mention something about a book. But what could she be talking about? Or maybe it was simply a figure of speech.

I walked the hallway thinking to myself while my feet were basically on autopilot until I bumped into someone. He paused and stared at me for a moment. "My apologies Miss...Thea..."

Brunette male with glasses a suitcase and an accent but it didn't sound German. Before he could realize I was practically assessing him I replied. "It's alright, I wasn't paying attention anyways," I said.

"Be careful next time." He said with a small smile which looked very menacing to me but that may be because I'm not used to it. Right?

"Yes, I will..." his grip lingered for a moment before loosening enough for me to slip it out of his hands. As I began to walk away I could still feel his eyes follow me until I turned the corner; it was then when his footsteps finally moved away.

- Turn down your brightness (Flash Warning)

(God Rest His Soul🙏💛)

1008 words