I Wish That Was Me II

It was a wonderful afternoon for the people living in the neighborhood. Especially the children who are having fun in the playground while their parents are watching them with cheerful smiles. At ease that they have their bundle of joy making sad days into joyful ones. Each child was running around, chasing after the others while there's this one cute, shy girl who is watching the kids fooling around and is staying close beside her mother as she is expecting for someone to be here with her.

"Chaeyoung-ah, why don't you go and play with them? They're calling for you." The young child's mother tries to encourage her shy daughter to socialize with other kids but the latter adorably shaked her head making the woman sigh understandingly.

"Alright. Just tell whenever you want to go home, okay?" The child lightly nods and peers around the playground as she is trying to at least get a glimpse of someone whom she has grow comfortable with. She waited and waited until she was nudged by her mother.

"Looks like someone is eager to see you, my dear." She looks at her mother smirking and follows the direction of her sights which leads to a young girl with cute dumpling cheeks sprinting her steps and that sight alone changes her whole expression from sadness to pure happiness.

"Jennie!" She quickly ran towards her with a crescent smile and the latter beamed a smile when her name was called but it faltered when she clumsily tripped over a rock and she closed her eyes, ready to meet the hard impact. But to her surprise, she felt arms securely wrapped around her waist, preventing her from falling further.

"I'm here, Nini. You can open your eyes now." The first view she saw once she opened her eyes was the sweet smile of her best friend and her heart fluttered as blush began creeping on her cheeks.

"T-thank you, Rosie." They pulled away from each other's hold and disappointment was written on the girls' faces as they missed the warmth they felt. They both stood awkwardly in front of each other until something caught the attention of the younger one.

"Bracelet?" Jennie showed her gummy smile and nodded excitedly, handing her friend a handmade bracelet she made not too long ago. She wanted the result to be perfect so she put her all in creating her art not noticing it was nearing the afternoon. She did her best in finishing her gift, setting her panic aside as she focused on her goal. Bracelet. For her new favorite person. Her Rosie.

Her Rosie examined the finished product in her hand while Jennie was fidgeting her fingers. Worried that she might not like it and that all her efforts would go to waste. Tears were already brimming in her eyes and she was about to wipe them secretly when someone beat her to it.

Her Rosie gave her the sweetest smile that the world shall melt for and Jennie did melt at her friend's smile. She reciprocated the smile until she felt her lips on her forehead making her entire body warm at the feeling of her soft, plump lips.

"Thank you for this, Jen. No one has ever done this to me. This means so much to me." The younger one professed with so much sincerity in her voice that she didn't know Jennie's heart was pounding so hard and heat was starting to creep on her cheeks. As she was about to say something, they were cut off by Roseanne's mother calling for their attention.

"Wanna have some fun with me, Nini?"

"Always."

Jennie stared at the bracelet she made for her. She kept it even after all this time. She kept it even after what happened that night. It's still with her. She took good care of it. It was the only reminder she has left of her. She heard the door open and hid the bracelet inside the box and placed it in her closet.

"I know you've been staring at the bracelet again, Jendeukie. No need to hide from me." Jennie turned around and saw her older friend giving her a sympathetic smile that made her sigh heavily. "I'm sorry. I just....." She didn't continue as a tear fell down on her cheek.

"Shh, you don't need to say it. I know, Jen. I know." Jisoo hugs her as she consoles her friend and her heart feels heavy as she hears the sobs knowing she can't stop her. Instead, she holds her dearly and let her friend release all her bottled up feelings.

"It's my f-fault. All of this is my fault. I'm so stupid. So s-stupid." Jennie hugs her friend whom she considered as her sister tighter as the gut wrenching feeling overtakes her whole being. She cried and cried until nothing was coming out anymore. Jisoo gives her a bottle of water and Jennie drinks the whole thing in one gulp. With a heavy sigh she released, she is still not getting any better.

"I am stupid, aren't I?"

"You are."

Jennie didn't bother to lift her head as that was the truth. She sees Jisoo in her peripheral vision settling herself beside her and runs her fingers through her smooth hair.

"I'm not going to defend you of what you did back then because that was something I didn't expect you to do, Jen...." She stops as she glanced at her friend who is fiddling with her fingers before continuing.

"So yes, you indeed were stupid, even now. You don't hang out that much with us anymore and you're always stuck in this room, mopping your sadness through what? Staring at the bracelet hoping for Chaeyoung to magically appear in front of you?"

Jennie finally faced her friend with a pained expression and Jisoo mirrored it. Her mouth slightly parted but she closed it as she couldn't utter any word. Every single word hits straight to her heart with thorns surrounding it. The guilt she feels is killing her with a great ounce of regret of what happened in the past.

Those last words she said to her best friend were the ones she regrets exclaiming. It was insensitive and inconsiderate of her to give rude remarks to her favorite person. But she knew it doesn't compare to what she left Chaeyoung with. Their friendship being over and a broken heart.

"I wish that wasn't me."

"It's been two years, Jen. Please, I'm begging you. She wouldn't want to see you in this state. You can't do anything that happened in the past. But you can do something now to fix your relationship. Confrontation and communication."

Jisoo then left the room, leaving Jennie busy with her thoughts. She stares at her phone, letting her thumb linger in the air as she was contemplating whether to press call or not. She's not even sure if the other still kept the same number but this is her one and only chance to own up her mistakes and fix everything.

One

She pressed call.

Two

She was becoming nervous as it was ringing.

Three

She was ready to call her name when the one who answered the call made her stiffen and different emotions suddenly surged through her entire system.

"Jennie? Is it really you?"

"J-Joohyun unnie."

Author's Note:
What is happening? 😃