I Wish That Was Me III

Silence. There was silence between them as they sat across each other. One too busy sipping her coffee and the other scrutinizing her whole figure which made her feel so small and her palms began to sweat out of nervousness. They both didn't utter a word to one another after they ordered their drinks. They were both engulfing the silence, taking their time before deciding the right words to say.

"How are you, Jen?"

The latter was beyond shocked at her words. Those were the last words she least expected to come from her. The woman in front her could see the bewildered expression written all over Jennie's face. Not only that, she noticed the eyebags underneath her eyes and how she got skinnier than the last time she saw her which in fact was two years ago.

"You're not fine." The older stepsister decided to be straightforward and Jennie spared a glance before looking away to fiddle with her fingers.

"I've never been since that happened." The younger one uttered the first words since they got into the café defeatedly.

Joohyun noticed the sadness in her tone and knew she was on the verge of crying. She stood up and went to her sister's side, engulfing her into a warm embrace. She felt Jennie tensed at the contact but as soon as she rubbed her back tracing with random circles, Jennie eased her panic and let the sorrow feeling consume her.

With a tear trickled down her cheek, more fell until she realized she was hugging her older sister tightly, she reluctantly pulled away and distanced herself as embarrassment was eating her alive. Joohyun didn't stop her but she didn't move from her spot nor scooted closer to her younger sister.

"How is she?" She said it in a form of whisper but she can see a small smile graced on her sister's lips in her peripheral vision.

"You should ask her that question and not me, Jen."

"Not after what I said that night. I can't. I can't face her when she looked at me so..........hurt and broken. Now, I'm sure she hates me."

"She never blamed you. She knew what she got herself into. It never was her intention that she loved you in that way. Her heart chose what it wanted and miraculously, it chose you. She doesn't resent nor hate you, Jen."

The latter looked at her incredulously and the older one laughed of how her sister isn't believing any of the words she just declared which was the truth. Her phone buzzed indicating she had to go. She sent her younger sister an apologetic smile in which Jennie waved her hands, saying that it's okay.
Before she could get on her way, Jennie froze as the words keep on echoing inside her mind, making her heart skipped a beat rapidly.

"I know you miss her. Trust me, she misses you too. Fix your estranged friendship with her. It's long overdue, my dear sister."

Jennie released a breath she didn't know she was holding for so long. She placed her hand inside her pocket and the familiar touch of the bracelet instantly calms her nerves down. She finally let out a genuine smile knowing that she's back in town but it faltered when that painful memory flashed in her eyes.

Flashback

Jennie slammed her door with so much force making the woman who was comfortably sitting on the couch shrieked. She frowned when the last piece of her chicken fell on the floor. She growled quietly before facing the brunette with a stern expression.

"Are you trying to give me a heart attack, Jennie?!" Irritation was evident in her voice but the latter didn't give any reaction. In fact, she was standing still with an emotionless expression. The raven-haired woman observed her, trying to figure out why her friend is acting this way in this fine evening.