prologue

Yeonbyul sighed as she closed her book. She looked around, from the fountain to the roses and sunflowers. The garden was quiet than expected. She was about to get married the next day and the only thing she thinks about was her happiness.

Yes, she was friends with the crowned prince since she was little. Her father was the minister that had a good connection with the King. The King grew fond of her relationship with his son that he arranged their marriage when they were teenagers.

Now that they're adults and they were ready to take over the throne, the awaited day will come the next day. Yeonbyul had many questions in her mind that she finds bothersome to search for the answers to.

Does he like me back?

Will I be happy with this marriage?

Of course, they were friends but she was sure Heeseung didn't treat her like a lover. She was sure the crowned prince didn't even think about falling in love with her.

Heeseung was busy with the preparations of taking over the throne so that left her all alone without anything to do. Her soon-to-be court lady, Ms Han scurried towards her in panic.

"Your Majesty! I've been looking for you for an hour!"

Yeonbyul frowned, "Ms Han! Don't call me that! It feels weird."

"Forgive me, Ms Park, " Ms Han apologized, lowering her gaze.

Yeonbyul got up and took a little stroll around the garden until she reached the small pond. Heeseung was reading a book at the gazebo. Her heart pounded faster than the usual pace.

She had a crush on him but she knew he doesn't have the same feeling towards her. To him, the marriage was mainly for him to take over the throne. If not, then he wouldn't get to be the next king and the throne would have to be given to his cousin.

Heeseung looked away from his book and saw her staring at him. He smiled softly and waved before continuing his reading session.

"Ms Han, " she called.

Ms Han walked closer to her. Yeonbyul smiled, "Do you think this marriage is a good idea?"

The court lady gulped, "To be honest, I don't know, Ms Park. We have to try to find out. If it doesn't, there's always time to back out."

Yeonbyul smiled and thanked her before walking back to her chamber.

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊ ┊ ┊ ✫
┊ ┊ ✩
┊ ⊹ ✯

Yeonbyul clenched her bouquet, breathing in and out to calm her nervous heart. She could feel butterflies in her stomach. Ms Han was fixing her wedding gown, making sure that it wasn't wrinkled.

"Ms Han, I don't think I can do this. After this day, I will be responsible for the whole kingdom."

"Ms Park, I believe after this day, will be the best day of your life. Trust me, " Ms Han comforted her.

Yeonbyul took a deep breath and the entrance door opened. Heeseung was waiting for her at the altar. The King and Queen consort was smiling from the front row.

I'm going to marry my best friend...

Shit. I'm not even dreaming.

Someone punch me in the face.

The wedding song started playing and Heeseung nodded slowly, signalling for her to start walking towards him. She walked slowly and saw her father crying, blowing his nose with a handkerchief.

"We are gathered here today for the wedding of His Highness, Prince Lee Heeseung and Ms Park Yeonbyul."

Yeonbyul's hands started trembling due to nervousness. She linked her arm with Heeseung and he was startled at how her hand was shaking.

He chuckled softly and patted her hand gently, his eyes fixed to the priest. She looked at him in surprise and felt her heart slowly breaking.

Lee Heeseung.

Don't give me fake hopes.

I know this marriage is just for the replacement of the former King and Queen.

After they both said their vows, the priest announced them, husband and wife. Heeseung was supposed to kiss her lips but instead, he kissed her forehead. The guests whispered to each other, figuring out their conclusions.