thirty-eight - "There's no happy ending for us."

Swords were held near Yeonbyul's neck. One move and her throat would be slit to death. Haesun walked back and forth as she smirked happily, "Didn't know that we would be reunited again like this. I just want to say, your life is so miserable now, Yeonbyul."

Yeonbyul didn't care about what was happening to her. She was worried about Minhwan and Mrs Seo. What would happen if the two found out that she was taken by the South palace guards?

Haesun got annoyed with Yeonbyul not giving any response so she grabbed a fistful of her hair and glared at her, "You annoy me, Park Yeonbyul. I wanted you gone from my sight, no. I want you to be gone from this world."

She snatched the sword from one of the guards and was about to cut Yeonbyul's neck but it was stopped with a random sword. She looked at Sunghoon who was pointing his sword at her, glaring with his deep eyes.

"Did Heeseung even permit you to execute a random person as you wish?"

Jake helped Yeonbyul stand up and pulled her away from the guards. Sunghoon sighed, "I don't know how many times I've already told you this but you will make such an awful Queen. And you will never beat Yeonbyul. She's the best queen the South Kingdom could ever have."

Hearing Sunghoon said that made Yeonbyul blush. Jake whispered to her ear, "Don't worry, your mother went home with her son. They're all waiting for you there."

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊ ┊ ┊ ✫
┊ ┊ ✩
┊ ⊹ ✯

Yeonbyul watched as the North King talked to the car driver for a while. Jake has already left, leaving them both. She turned around and was about to walk away but Sunghoon grabbed her hand gently to stop her, "My lady!"

"Stop with the names and all! I've had enough."

Sunghoon stood there in surprise, not expecting her to raise her voice in anger. She burst into tears of frustration and tiredness, "I want to get away with all these royal things and royal life. But you just had to ruin it! Don't find me anymore. I will only make your life miserable."

"That's not true. Don't you know how long I have been searching for you? Why did you run away? From me? How could you do that to me? I love you, Yeonbyul."

She scoffed and wiped her tears, "How could you still love me when I killed a person? How could you still see me as a good person when I'm just the same as Mr Kim? It doesn't make any sense. I don't want your life to be ruined like how Heeseung ruined mine."

"I want to love you, Yeonbyul. It's my choice. I didn't force myself to love you. My feelings for you are genuine."

She chuckled mockingly at his statement, "Too bad. I don't love you anymore. You can now throw those feelings away because my feelings towards you are nothing except annoyance and hatred. Can you please stop searching for me and let me be? When I say I want to get away with all these royal things, please respect that. Goodbye."

She walked away and wiped her tears, sobbing quietly. She had to lie. It was the best for him. If Heeseung finds out she was still involved with all these royal things, she was afraid he would harm him. She was also afraid that Haesun would try to hurt her by harming her loved ones, that included Sunghoon. It was best to make the North King realise that she doesn't love him anymore. So that he could move on and find someone else.

Sunghoon stared at Yeonbyul as her figure disappeared in his sight. His eyes formed tears and they slowly trickled down to his face. He wanted to stop her, hug her and tell her that she was wrong about her feelings. It felt like someone was ripping his heart out of his body, that was how painful he felt towards the words that she spat.

He got into the car and told the driver to drive anywhere but the hotel. He leaned back against the seat and stared at the view outside, ignoring his surroundings. Raindrops started tapping the windows. He watched the droplets fell slowly, sobbing softly.

The driver looked at him from the rearview mirror and sighed, "I believe Lady Yeonbyul has a reason for saying that, Your Majesty."

"You think?"

"From the sound of her voice, it sounded like she still loves you. But she had to let you go, probably because she wants to protect you? Try to think, Your Majesty, what if her close enemy tries to hurt her by harming you? How would she feel when everyone she loves dies in front of her? Of course, Lady Yeonbyul would say something that would hurt you so that you won't come near her anymore."

After hearing 'close enemy' from the driver, the first person who appeared in Sunghoon's mind was Haesun. He thought for a while, "It could be true."

"What should I do? I don't care if Heeseung or Haesun harms me, I just want to live happily with her. I've been waiting for her for months and I couldn't believe our relationship became like this," Sunghoon frowned.

"Win her heart back, Your Majesty. That's how you got her to love you so do it back. Send her flowers, take her out on a date, surprise her. Be there for her when she needs you."

The King chuckled and nodded, taking notes in his mind.

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊ ┊ ┊ ✫
┊ ┊ ✩
┊ ⊹ ✯

Yeonbyul let her body get soaked with rain. She hugged herself and she could see fog appearing when she exhaled, signalling that it was cold. She took out her phone and frowned when she realised she didn't have her mother's phone number. She saw Mr Choi's contact number and was hesitant to call him. It's been so long since she met him and it would be awkward if she suddenly call him.

She took off her shoes and her feet was bleeding due to the tight shoes. She hissed in pain and walked on the ground with no shoes on. She laughed at herself, "I can't believe I could be so pathetic like this."

When I was a Queen, everything was prepared for me. It's raining? Hanseo or Ms Han would prepare an umbrella or raincoat for me.

It's cold? The court ladies would prepare a jacket or a cardigan and the chefs would make me a cup of hot chocolate.

And now I'm walking on the ground with no shoes on and my feet are bleeding due to the tight footwear. I wish dad is with me right now. He would know what to do. Dad, please send someone to help me. Please give me a sign.

Car lights appeared out of nowhere in the dark, blinding her eyes. The car door opened and Sunghoon got out, letting the rain wet his clothes and body. She frowned and was about to run away but the King instantly picked her up and carried her into the car.

He put the seatbelt on for her and sat next to her.

"I thought I told you to stop appearing-"

"And I chose to disobey. I love you too much and do you think you can get away from me by giving me such a ridiculous excuse? If Haesun or Heeseung hurts you then I'll protect you. That is the promise I made to myself when I fell in love with you," he interrupted.