thirty-three - "You look like a penguin?"

[ edited ]

Heeseung's face was bright with his smile. He held my hand as he was eager to show the 'garden' that his father has created for me. He brought me to the entrance and jumped around happily as he held my hand. I jumped with him and we both laid on the ground, staring at the clear sky.

He looked at me and giggled with his teenage voice. The day went on with him complaining about his father spending more time with his concubine than his mother. But little did he know that when he grew up, he'll do the same to his wife.

I was listening with full attention, hearing him talking about how the concubine was mean to him. He loved his father. King Lee was very affectionate towards him and always gave in when his son wants something. His mother, Queen Song was kind and soft-spoken. She treated me like I'm her child. She knew how messed up my relationship with my mother so she tried to be the best mother-in-law I could have.

I didn't know what happened, what changed, that made Heeseung cold towards me. He came to me whenever he has something to scold or else, he wouldn't step foot into my room or office. If he doesn't have anything to say to me, the day could probably go on with me not seeing his face at all.

Yeonbyul woke up and realised she was still in the library. She wiped off her drool and put back the books into the rack before rushing out of the room. She took off the hairpins in her hair and exhaled heavily as she felt comfort in her curly hair. All the pins made her head dizzy and heavy.

She walked quickly since she didn't want anyone to see her morning face. It was embarrassing when she saw all the palace workers have changed into a new outfit. She was the only one wearing the gown from the day before.

She held her hairpins and mask tightly as she searched for her room. She opened the doors to an unknown room and widened her eyes in surprise and fear, seeing Sunghoon and his parents preparing for the coronation.

What's worse was that Sunghoon saw her morning face, messy hair and her wearing a dress from the night before. The prince avoided eye contact and cleared his throat. She quickly bowed at his parents, apologising before running away from the place.

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊
┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊         ┊       ┊   ✫
┊         ┊       ✩    
┊ ⊹       ✯

Yeonbyul wore her sunglasses and hat as she drank her tea in the garden. She was wearing a floral dress and people could mistake her for a tourist than a queen. Hanseo stood near her as she widened her eyes, "Your Majesty, the Prince has come to see you."

Sunghoon stepped onto the gazebo and stopped as he stared at the Queen's startled eyes. Yeonbyul put out a hand to stop him and looked away, "Don't! Do not ask about what happened earlier."

Ms Han exchanged confused glances with Hanseo as they both turned around to give the Queen and Prince some privacy. Sunghoon sat across her and leaned forward, "I didn't see you yesterday."

"I fell asleep in the library. You were busy dancing with a woman and I didn't have a dance partner so I got bored."

He couldn't help but smile as she pouted secretly, "Were you jealous, my lady? Should I repay you with a dance?"

"Since when am I jealous? I know she's your future wife so it makes sense that you danced with her last night."

He frowned, "She isn't my future wife. She's my cousin."

She widened her eyes, feeling her stupidity slowly rising in her. She looked away and closed her eyes, cursing at herself for being embarrassing and accusing him without knowing the truth.

"So you are jealous."

"No, I'm not."

"It's okay, my lady. My heart belongs to you only," what he said caught her off guard. She accidentally spat her tea and coughed as she choked. Hanseo hit Ms Han's arm continuously, fangirling over the prince.

"Don't say that! People could hear you!"

"But it's true tho," he argued back. She glared at him and sighed, her cheeks blushed to the darkest shade of reddish-pink. It was so warm that it could burst at any moment. Sunghoon scooted his chair near her and pulled her chair towards him before leaning forward, staring into her eyes deeply.

"You look wonderful."

Yeonbyul didn't know what to say, "Well, you look...like a penguin?"

What is wrong with me? I keep saying dumb things.

He laughed and stood up, holding her hand, "May I take you on a date?"

"Don't you have any work to do?"

"I want to escape from all of the work. It's more fun that way," he winked. Hanseo gasped and was about to faint but Ms Han smacked her, "Pull yourself together."

But deep down, Ms Han was fangirling and wishing that her future husband would do that to her. She was about to smile but coughed and her frown appeared back.

Yeonbyul linked her arm with his as he led her to his car. He opened the car door for her and she went in, waiting for him to get into the driver's seat. She stared at the veins on his hands as he held the steering wheel. His eyes were focused on the view in front of him.

She leaned back against her chair and smiled to herself, looking at the view outside from her side of the window.

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊         ┊       ┊   ┊    ┊        ┊
┊         ┊       ┊   ┊   ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊         ┊       ┊   ✫
┊         ┊       ✩    
┊ ⊹       ✯

The car parked at the parking lot in front of a restaurant. It was located near the beach. Yeonbyul got out of the car and looked around, letting the breeze brushing against her skin. The wind was pushing her hair back, revealing her neck and collarbone. She felt cold since she was wearing an off- shouldered dress.

She was about to walk until she felt a weight of a blazer on her. Sunghoon put his blazer on her so that she wouldn't feel chilly due to the wind. He walked ahead of her, taking off his shoes and feeling the sand between his feet.

She went towards him and walked next to him, staring at the waves crashing against the shore. She scurried towards the water and shivered due to the coldness.

"It's freaking cold!" She yelped. He laughed and watched as she let the waves hit her feet. She motioned for him to get in and he shook his head, refusing.

She frowned and walked behind him before pushing him forward. He fell and wiped the water that splashed on his face. He was about to whine but then saw her laughing, holding her stomach. He smirked and got up before carried her bridal style and going deep into the water.

She held his shoulders for support and apologised, "I promise I won't do it again, I'll promise I won't— Argh!"

The waves splashed on their face and she took a deep breath, closing her eyes. He laughed and was about to put her down but she refused, holding him closer. Sunghoon's heart pounded so quickly that butterflies were dancing around in his stomach.

He put her down and stared at her deep in the eyes before pulling her into a sudden kiss. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer.