twenty-seven - "Why should I even bother?"

"I'll stay here for a few days," Yeonbyul announced as she plopped herself on the couch. Sunghoon rolled up his sleeves and wiped his sweat since he was just done washing the dishes. Jake already left since he had work to do.

"Will you be okay alone?" Sunghoon asked before drinking his water. She smiled and nodded, "Don't worry. I just want to spend time here in this house for a while to clear my mind."

He nodded and leaned back against the couch, "I have to go back to the North to prepare for my coronation. I hope you could come."

"I would love to. But you do know that I have to ask Heeseung for permission, right? These types of events require the King's permission for the Queen Consort to attend."

They both went silent and the situation became awkward. She fiddled with her fingers and he was looking around the room but her, avoiding making eye contact.

"About your Queen Consort, have you found the right one yet?" She asked out of the blue. The prince frowned when the question was brought up.

"Not yet."

"Well then, I hope you have a safe trip to the North. Always eat and don't stress yourself about the coronation. Everything will be fine."

"It will be as long as you're there," he blurted out and got up before walking towards the entrance door. Her eyes widened and she chased after the prince but was too late, seeing him getting into his car and after a few minutes, the car drove away, fading in her sight.

If I like him, and he likes me, then why am I afraid to show that I like him? Is it because of Heeseung? What will the people say if they find out that I'm in love with the Crowned Prince? They would say that I'm a whore and a scandalous Queen. And that will ruin my image. I think it's best to keep it a secret. It's just a stupid crush, it will soon go away.

She walked upstairs and went into her father's bedroom. She walked to the walk-in closet and took her father's clothes, smelling them. It smelled just like him. She smiled to herself and hung them back before scurrying towards the bed.

She lied down and exhaled heavily, "Dad, please give me a sign. I don't know whether I like Sunghoon or it's just a feeling of comfort and not more than that. It's complicated. I'm not sure if he likes me or not. It feels like he's playing with my feelings and I'm afraid of loving him."

Her eyelids became heavy and she soon fell into a deep slumber.

゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚ ゜゚*☆*゚
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
┊ ┊ ┊ ┊ ˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩
┊ ┊ ┊ ✫
┊ ┊ ✩
┊ ⊹ ✯

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
a few days later...
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

Few days have passed. The palace became busier than ever since Heeseung's birthday was just right around the corner. Yeonbyul let the swing sway her back and forth as she gazed at the ground below her, feeling bored that the prince was gone to prepare for his coronation.

Hanseo pouted, "Your Majesty, why do you look so sad lately? Shouldn't you be planning a birthday surprise for His Majesty?"

"I really should but I don't have the motivation to."

"Is it because His Highness is gone?" Hanseo asked. Ms Han and Yeonbyul were taken aback by the question. The Queen cleared her throat and looked away, "What? No... I mean, maybe? But my days are still the same whether I'm with him or not."